Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Autumn This and That

October has been a perfect month to catch up on gardening chores, so I've spent most days outside...sometimes "choring" and sometimes reading.  After the summer heat and humidity, it has been so pleasant to sit out and read in comfortable temperatures.  Not cool, actually, but comfortably pleasant in the 80's.  


Garden:

Almost finished with re-doing this bed.  Finally!  Have to finish cleaning up, but at least I've finished digging up all the monkey grass and have put things back in a semblance of order.  We have gotten a lot done this month--Fee mostly works on the front and the long side, and I work on everything else.  We have different priorities at times, so we concentrate where our interests lie.



This.  Fee bought the scarecrow, a bale of hay, and lots of pumpkins and arranged them around the front door.  The problem is that I am easily startled, and for nearly three weeks now, I get a glimpse of the shape as I pass by and think someone is at the door!  I will be happy to put that scarecrow in storage as soon as we get through November.  


Books/Reading:  Finished these, but have reviewed only one on my reading blog.


The Bohemians by Jasmine Darznik.  Historical fiction about photographer Dorothea Lange.  Audiobook.  This one I've reviewed.





The Three Winter Terrors by James Lovegrove.  Three stories, three linked cases.






Shadow of the Knife by Richard Ayre.  Two years after Jack the Ripper's last murder--another victim.  Has the Ripper returned?








Mail/Letters:






postcard from Patty


It is supposed to rain tomorrow, and I plan on catching up on correspondence.  I'm looking forward to not being in the garden.  :)
-------

Columnist Angela Mollard wrote a letter to her mother in 1994.  Twenty-seven years later she looks at what has changed and what has remained the same.  

------

Fee call this behavior "face crimes."
I'm often guilty of committing them.

10 comments:

  1. I can see being startled by the scarecrow at the door as well LOL I liked your garden pictures = looks peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently do a double-take when I glimpse the scarecrow, but not as often as when he first when up! That area didn't look peaceful a few days ago, but I'm happy with it now. :)

      Delete
  2. I suspect the sudden lack of expression is what subtitles my opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My expressions are often misinterpreted--but not always!

      Delete
  3. A couple years ago, I had a life size "art mannikin" standing in our foyer. We had a Highland Open Studio Tour Sundays (HOSTS) event at our house in December, and my friend had sat up her art in our foyer. When she took things down, she didn't have room to get the mannikin. It stayed at our house through Mardi Gras so we had it a couple months. I can't tell you how many times that mannikin startled me as I walked down the stairs and saw her or caught a glimpse of her as I moved from room to room downstairs. She was clothed only in the Constitution which was decoupaged to her body head to toe. It was a protest piece, advocating for a women's rights, that had been part of an art exhibit. Another friend babysat the mannikin, too, before the artist claimed her and moved to Omaha with her.

    Your garden looks perfect for respite or reading. I planted seasonal flowers to improve the curb appeal at our house and repotted several of my indoor plants before today's cold front with rain got here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That unexpected "someone" can cause heart palpitations! How interesting that the manikin made the rounds before returning home.

      Before the rain finally hit, the air felt as if weighed a ton. Thankfully, the really bad stuff passed us by. Can't believe we are expecting highs in the 60s tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. I say your garden looks magazine-worthy! It's just lovely. I have let mine-well-gooooo....but I surely do love seeing yours so neat and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debra, that one bed looks good now, but the rest is still a mess. I started letting things go in the middle of the summer when the heat and humidity were just too much for me. October has been a much needed respite for cleaning up and clearing, but there is so much more to do!

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks so peaceful. I'm glad you are enjoying cooler temps so you can enjoy them outdoors with your books! Cracking up about the subtitles! I think that's been me this week as people have been trying my patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had more of these days without the sweltering summer heat and humidity. I love being able to enjoy being outside for gardening and reading. On the subtitles--isn't that the truth. Even if you can keep your mouth shut, your face reveals more than you realize!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!