Monday, November 08, 2021

Monday

Books/Reading:

A Hot Mess
is an informative and readable science-based book on climate change, how it has already affected the world and will continue to do so.  I would recommend this book to all politicians as well as to the rest of us who have already acknowledged the consequences of ignoring what will happen as the world heats up.  


More cosmos seedlings to pull.  



 Incoming Mail

 Postcard from Teresa that arrived without the stamp cancellation.


Outgoing Mail

Letter to Teresa who requested some cosmos seeds. 
I cut off the end of the envelope with the stamp when I scanned it.




-------
Clumsy, careless me. I rarely use bleach because I'm never careful enough, but the white sheets, I do bleach occasionally. So...I have several big aprons similar to the kind in restaurants because I love the big pockets. The pockets are big enough to hold my Kindle and my phone and are useful when straightening the house and returning things to their proper places.

And I had my black apron on when I washed the sheets, jogged my elbow, splashed the bleach down the apron. Benefit, not on my shirt or pants. Frustration, hated the bleach splatter--not that I leave the house wearing the apron, but still.

Many of the spots were the size as the point of a needle, some were dribbles, others were larger. Now the spots are covered with tiny French knots and other stitching, and I got caught up with some Netflix shows while doing the slow stitching.


“We live stitch by stitch, when we’re lucky. If you fixate on the big picture, the whole shebang, the overview, you miss the stitching. And maybe the stitching is crude, or it is unraveling, but if it were precise, we’d pretend that life was just fine and running like a Swiss watch. This is not helpful if on the inside our understanding is that life is more often a cuckoo clock with rusty gears. In the aftermath of loss, we do what we’ve always done, although we are changed, maybe more afraid. We do what we can, as well as we can. My pastor, Veronica, one Sunday told the story of a sparrow lying in the street with its legs straight up in the air, sweating a little under its feathery arms. A warhorse walks up to the bird and asks, “What on earth are you doing?” The sparrow replies, “I heard the sky was falling, and I wanted to help.” The horse laughs a big, loud, sneering horse laugh, and says, “Do you really think you’re going to hold back the sky, with those scrawny little legs?” And the sparrow says, “One does what one can.”
― Anne Lamott, Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair"

When not spilling bleach, or stumbling over a cat,
or other clumsy incidents, there is this:

8 comments:

  1. My goodness, that last sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I bet he doesn't even have pockets! Still, that pocket on the kitchen drawer knob by our sink is a frequent culprit, and I have to admit my expression may be similar.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reason to smile
    Lever door handles grabbing handbag strap and/or cuff is a great aggravation. They can be dangerous to a person in a hurry. Bleach spots means embroidery time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on door handles grabbing handbag strap or sleeve! Worse if you have a cup of hot coffee in your hand! I spend a lot of time dealing with the consequences of my own actions.

      Delete
  3. This is a fun post! I think I have made that face far too often :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The frustration of (mostly) minor, but fairly frequent incidents with drawer or door knobs!

      Delete
  4. I did get my letter. Love your illustration! Oh I'm sorry about the bleach spots but what a great idea to use some stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It isn't as if I wear these aprons anywhere but in the house, but the splash and dribble bothered me, so out came the embroidery floss. I have four aprons--the kind that waiters use to keep their orders, etc. in their pockets. I bought the first one several years ago after getting paint on a new pair of pants, and I've been adding to them because they are great for so many reasons, and I'm not the neatest person around--between gardening, cats, food, paint, etc. And pockets big enough for kindle and phone :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!