Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Reading, Gardening, Mailing, and Fighting Mosquitoes

Books/Reading
I've discovered a new author (for me).  Dana Stabenow writes the Kate Shugak books set in Alaska.  The setting and characters are so vivid, I feel as if I have been there and met them.  I've already finished the second in this series, and I've enjoyed them both.  I've only reviewed the first one.  

While Stabenow's Kate Shugak in an Aleut and concentrates on investigations and the indigenous culture of Alaska, Saumya Dave provides a look at Indian culture (from India) in America.  Well-Behaved Indian Women examines the cultural differences between those born in India and their children born in America.  The main plot premise focuses on arranged marriages.  I found it interesting as our American culture is so different.  My daughter went to high school at the Louisiana School of Math, Sciences, and the Arts, and many of her friends were from different cultures--Korean, Thai, Filipina (another Jen),and Indian students.   And yes, some of the Indian girls had arranged marriages.

I've been reading so much that I can't keep up with reviews on my book blog, but reading keeps me from dwelling on things I can't control.


Garden

Cosmos

Honey Bell Cuphea
Supposed to be a hummingbird plant,
but I've yet to seem them visit here.
What do they like?  Milkweed, Lantana, and the Basil!




Crepe Myrtle flowers on Japanese Maple
When crepe myrtle confetti falls, it looks
like neon pink flowers everywhere.




Mail
I've been enjoying playing upstairs lately.  Made some more Art Deco postcards on watercolor paper.     
Outgoing Mail

postcard to a care home resident

 to Connie, using one of the vintage envelopes 
she sent me and attaching it to an envelope for mailing.
Seeing how the watercolor works on the vintage envelopes has been interesting.  The envelopes are approximately 80 years old, faded, and stained.  The watercolor adapts to this patina and is much less bright than on watercolor postcards.  

When my husband and I sit outside, he will not get a single bite;
mosquitoes invariably choose me.  





What have you been doing,
reading, making, thinking lately?

24 comments:

  1. Oh, that Honey Bell Cuphea is lovely. It looks a little bit like California Poppies. You have such a lovely garden! I have the same experience as you when it comes to mosquitos. I'm always surprised that my husband NEVER gets bitten. So not fair! I'm keeping busy with reading, exercising (free weights and walking), working on a challenging puzzle, blogging and scanning photos from my albums with hopes of creating photo books, which should take up less space. I wish I were planning a road trip, but I guess that will be my winter project for 2021. Sigh. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cosmos looks a little like poppies. The Honey Bell is the tubular looking pink bloom. :) And mosquitoes are always on my list of dreaded irritants! Whatever chemistry invites them, how unfair that our husbands don't get bitten. My husband feels required to say, "They aren't bothering me." I want to swat him!

      Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy, Les! It is nice to have those puzzles to sit down to after a little exercise. :) Yep, hold on to the idea of a 2021 road trip, we are all going to one.

      Delete
  2. i love those books, they just can't write them fast enough for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I often feel that way! They take so long to write, and so little time to read!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear about that safe chemical to repel and kill ticks. We have them like crazy here. We have lots of deer that are hosts for the ticks. I have had 3 bouts of antibiotics after ticks have been on (in) my skin. I think they are disgusting creatures! I've had them on me about 6 times-felt them crawling (OH YuK!) so I could brush them off. Usually I am ok with bugs-I like them. Not ticks or spiders though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have ticks in town, but in the country they are awful. I agree, ticks are awful and dangerous, too. Mosquitoes and ticks are two things I'd happily live without. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello all, Ok I laughed about the 207 mosquitoes. From my un-scientific survey, in most couples one attracts mosquitoes and the other is not bothered at all... I am the NOT bothered one, and I am from Louisiana My husband was not amused about the 207 mosquitoes and he is from England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Hester! I'd appreciate being the one mosquitoes don't bother. :)

      Delete
  5. You have a beautiful garden. A new safe mosquito repellent is good news, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The garden keeps my spirits up. And the new safe mosquito repellent sounds promising. I hope we will have access to it for next summer!

      Delete
  6. I love your garden and the beautiful blooms. We also planted items with hopes of lots of hummingbirds and butterflies. Haven't seen too many this year. And, that mosquito sign is too funny. I can relate. Love the art deco envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. We have had fewer butterflies this year--a disappointment. The hummingbirds don't seem to have noticed any of the plants that are supposed to be attracting them, but they do love the basil, Dallas Red Lantana, and the milkweed. I laughed when I saw the mosquito meme; it was so timely!

      Delete
  7. I like your news about mosquitos! I tend to be a target, too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drives me nuts to know mosquitoes don't bother my husband, while I am like a multi-course meal!

      Delete
  8. Your garden is such a lovely place to be! I hate gardening so I enjoy other people’s beautiful yard work. I put gardening into the same category as housework...it is NEVER done! So I ignore them both and play. I love your graphic designed mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I agree about housework! I don't hate it--it just can't compete with the things I'd rather do. I do like gardening in the spring; in the summer, I do a little weeding and leave the plants (mostly) to their own devices. It is easy to ignore unpleasant or boring tasks when play is always so inviting!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is just beautiful. The hummingbird plant really looks like hummingbirds. I've never seen that plant before. Your mail art is fabulous! I just bought the new Bugs Bunny stamps, the Celebrate stamps, and planning ahead, the Christmas Carol stamps. I haven't been reading books. (I don't seem to read as much anymore. Too much time on the computer 😉), but I have been making books preparing for a workshop I'll be teaching in November. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ! Our garden is small, but I pack in all that I can. :) I love the Celebrate stamps and have ordered Bugs Bunny. Yay for making your own books and sharing at a workshop!

      Delete
  10. Your reading picks have me intrigued. Your garden is beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed learning more about Alaska while enjoying intriguing mysteries and characters I like! I just found two Monarch caterpillars on the milkweed today--I wondered what happened to the top half of one of the plants--hungry caterpillars!

      Delete
  11. Hello from Seattle! My DDH is the mosquito magnet though I still get my fair share of nibblins.
    I find drowning myself in lavender water during a shower keeps them off for awhile, my grandmothers advice was to eat more garlic but I'm at "repel vampires" strength already! Your garden is lovely! Mine is going crunchy and sad. It should perk up some from the drenching it got yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My husband bought some garlic spray for mosquitoes. Can't say it helped much, but maybe eating more garlic will!

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the Kate Shugak series when I read it way back when. Invariably I get to one book where I don't like what the author did to a character, and I kind of stop reading them. I bought some spray for white flies that smelled like rosemary. Our whole yard smelled of rosemary for days, and the white flies and the aphids seemed to enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really go with rosemary as the perfect garden scent! We can get so invested in a character that when an author messes 'em up, kills them off, or has them behave out of character (our version of their character), the frustration is intense. Haven't gotten to that point with Kate Shugak yet.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!