Saturday, April 07, 2018

Snail Mail

Incoming

from Anna


 from Teresa

Outgoing


to Anna
(another Jackie Long inspired scrappy girl)

 back-- trying to work something about poetry in somewhere,
 and I love the quote by Gwendolyn Brooks.

to Hannah
------------

Have you ever written to a celebrity or an author?  I've never have, but I know that many authors and celebrities will write back.  Some do it personally like children's author James Preller; some rely on assistants or publishers.

This a link to some replies from celebrities to thrilled fans.

Atlas Obscura wants to knowDid Your Childhood Hero Ever Write You Back?


--------
More Ideas and a Tutorial for Fun Envelopes:
(In keeping with National Letter Writing Month) 

*Take some pretty paper and make an envelope by folding it and using double-sided tape or washi tape to secure the sides or use an old envelope for a template.  Tutorial

*Scribbling Glue always makes fun envelopes from illustrations in children's books. :)


*Annie (Freezeframe) makes delicious postcards. I received this one last year and love the use of the old card catalog entry!

14 comments:

  1. A fun post! So much art here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun with NLWM! Making postcards and envelopes is fun; combining it with poetry for National Poetry Month is even funner. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Jen! I love seeing all the great mail art that comes in and goes out of your lucky mailbox! Your art cards are so uniquely clever. Your scrappy girl is a delight. I love Scribbling Glue’s idea for envelopes!
    I was a long time letting go of the “Little Women” postcard. But those catalog cards are quite the challenge for me to use in art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some of the catalog cards from our library. They must have gone into the trash when the library went digital. I'm reluctant to use some ephemera because I want to hang on to it. Anyway, I loved that postcard that mixed the library with one of my favorite books as a child!

      Delete
  3. I actually met one of my childhood heroes!

    Love that cartoon at the end - just how radar started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you don't bother to tell us who! That's a tease, Rachel!

      Delete
  4. Great cards, I especially like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of Annie's postcards are little works of art. Her quilted postcards are beautiful and whimsical, too. :)

      Delete
  5. I have a few library items from when we closed our school library, but it kills me to do anything with them. I'm afraid that one day there will be nothing left to prove there were libraries. How silly is that idea?
    These cards are fabulous, as always. You have such a gift with pen and paper. I hope that those who receive your art appreciate it for the beautiful items they are. You should have an art show of your mail art. (Let me know so I can come. That would be such fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to save some things from the library, Mary. I, too, am afraid in this climate about funding for libraries. England has been having trouble with cuts to libraries for several years.

      :) I'm on a roll now with decorating envelopes and postcards and poring through my poetry books for good lines! Keeps me busy and out of trouble!

      Delete
  6. I loved the scrappy girl postcard and that envelope you received. So many artistic folks. I currently have all the cards you've sent me on display in my library. Tell Mary ^^^^ it's a mini-exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Teresa, what a sweet thing to have a mini-exhibit in your wonderful home!

      Delete
  7. I saw that one of these cards had my name on it but, alas, I never received it? I hope it didn't get lost. :-(( I'm saving room for it in my Jenny tribute card display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmph! Couldn't make it across the river? A replacement will go out today--I've been making a bunch of water color postcards that I'm eager to send!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!