Thursday, October 29, 2020

Almost Halloween!

Stinker finds the little quiltlet comfortable.


I made Drop Dead Fred several years ago.



I didn't make a single Halloween creature this year.  Spooky.
Last year, I made quite a few things, including the frame and black cat, but this year...nada.

This year, I only pulled out a few decorations.
Much less to put away.

__________

Books/Reading:  An Extravagant Death by Charles Finch.  "Another great entry in the Charles Lenox historical mystery series.  In addition to the mystery plot, I learned the origin of the word "shrapnel" and the phrase "heard it through the grapevine."  Lt. Henry Shrapnel invented an artillery shell that fragmented in 1803 and the Grapevine Tavern in N.Y. was a place where Union officers and Confederate spies mingled during the Civil War.  Thus, the source of news, information, gossip, and rumors was through the Grapevine." (from my review, scheduled for closer to publication on my other blog)


An interesting article:  My Aunt's favorite penpal--Ruth Bader Ginsberg by Beth Seidel. 

 Incoming Mail

from Iliana

Her handmade card inside :)

from Hester,
an oversized postcard with the 
most delicious bats! 


Outgoing

to B.E. who is in quarantine





Oct. 29, National Cat Day


12 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I am lolling over the vitamin D poster! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that one cracked me up! Maybe because I'm on a prescription dosage of vitamin D at the moment. :)

      Delete
  2. Cats can sniff out a quilted item like nobody’s business! Ha! I love your Halloween characters. They are really wonderful. Great mail. About the vampire though...isn’t he just thinking of himself?...so it’s only fair, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can always find comfort...and that's what quilts of any size are both physically and metaphorically. I had a small antique quilt in a basket for decoration, but had to take it out because it was a cat magnet and didn't need any additional stress of frequent washings.

      This is a strange Halloween, but I've still enjoyed the season. Making the Halloween postcards has been fun and receiving Halloween themed mail--even better!

      Delete
  3. I saw a poster recently saying "No need for Halloween - 2020 is scary enough!", which pretty much embodies my thoughts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sums up the situation succinctly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cats treat table runners like luxurious beds set out just for them. It’s a good thing they’re otherwise well behaved. Even though you didn’t make anything new for Halloween, it’s nice to be able to display and admire your creations from previous years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have that, too--table runners, throws, bowls. A couple of years ago, my daughter gave me this lovely pottery bowl that I kept on the table, but I had to fill it with pinecones to keep the cats from napping in it. :) Our cats are pretty well behaved now; as they've gotten older, they aren't as rambunctious as they were, but they excel at finding places to sleep!

      Delete
  6. I'm still smiling about the vitamin d pic! What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That Nosferatu and vitamin D meme is going to be an a favorite in the Halloween meme category!

      Delete
  7. The vitamin d pic is a hoot! :) Really love your Halloween decorations. We didn't decorate at all but it was fun to see some cool ones around our neighborhood. Hopefully next year we'll all be able to celebrate in a much bigger way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple of houses that did fun, but not extravagant decorations in our neighborhood. Next year, hopefully, will be more benevolent in many ways. I'm dreading Thanksgiving and Christmas this year with Covid cases increasing again.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!