Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Assorted Thoughts

 Oh my gosh, the costumes posted on A Mighty Girl--from suffragettes, to RBG, to Katherine Johnson with her NASA badge, to Marie Curie, to 4 sisters in A League of Their Own, to Magical Mister Mistoffelees from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, and more!  


Garden Dilemma:  The high yesterday was 82 degrees.  Garden still waiting for a frost that will make it easier for me to uproot and cut back (because it pains me to cut short any bloom time) and get in some winter plants.  My plans to clear out and replant are always on my to do list,  and then the still growing and blooming plants defeat me.  The first hard frost will give me permission, but until then...it's a waiting game.  And yes, we are well into November.  

Walking out this morning felt a little like being in a mist machine, the damp was so entrenched in the air.   

Usually, I've preferred the 4 red maples during leaf change season, but this year the gold in this one gets my vote.


I do still love the reds, however.


Catastrophe Averted:
  Last night, we couldn't find Stinker.  House search ensued, peeking under beds and into favorite hiding places, before I realized the door to my little attic room wasn't completely shut.  I went up and looked for her, but no luck.  After all areas had been accounted for, I trudged back up the stairs, opened the door, and out she shot like a furry little cannonball.  She's a strange one, this little tuxedo cat.  About 1/3 of the size of her brother, she's always been more aloof, more secretive.  

Election:  While hoping for a concession and a peaceful transition, there doesn't seem to be a chance of that.  So...I'm keeping this message from E.B. White in mind:  "Hang on to your that.  Hang on to your hope.  And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day."  I love this quote, it is applicable to so many circumstances.


Books/Reading:
I like books about the West and have 
several favorite authors, but recently I read one of my favorite books for the year.  Sam mentioned that News of the World by Paulette Jiles remained on his list of favorites.  Now, I know why and as soon as I finished, I recommended it to my daughter, asked Suzie if she'd read it (of course, she had), and found that another friend claimed it as a favorite book.  Where was I?  All this time, and I think I'd been confusing it with The Shipping News (which I also loved).  Being late to the party doesn't mean the party wasn't an unadulterated success--because it was excellent!  "Klepping honts, Kep-dun,"  as ten-year-old Johanna would say as she masters the language.

Watching:  The Graham Norton Show clips.  They make me laugh, and we all need more laughter.

Incoming Mail

Outgoing








12 comments:

  1. Great costume. Maples in golds has more light, and the reds enrich the spirit as well. Finding cat gone missing is an adventure. Great postcards, the Rosita stamp is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the costumes on the site made me smile. So creative and the kids so cute! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved News of the World as well. And yay to us/US!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoyed News of the World--although there were many places I feared it would break my heart. Such a long and perilous journey and so pertinent to our current times.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found your cat! SHe is adorable. I always love your mail art. Your garden is so beautiful. The pictures make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stinker is a sweet girl, but she did have me concerned! Letters are a resource for me right now. I guess they always are, but now, even more so. I enjoy every part of the process, especially finding them in the mailbox! Thanks, Debra :)

      Delete
  4. What fun scrolling through all of those Halloween costumes! I am in awe of the creativity by the girls (and their parents)!

    We had a frost the other night (while camping in our RV!). The temps dropped to 24, but all was well and there wasn't any ice on the roads as we headed out for an appointment.

    Your maples are so pretty. Ours is just beginning to turn a lovely gold.

    Glad you found your kitty! They are such sneaky animals. :)

    Love that quote. Yes, let's hang on to our hats & hope!

    News of the World is such a great book. I've read it twice and look forward to seeing the movie. Have you read Whiskey When We're Dry by John Larison? It's also very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in awe of the girls and their parents, too--such a wonderful bunch of costumes! Oh, 24 degrees! Our lowest low was, I think, about 42 degrees and now they are much, much warmer again. We will have our approximation of winter eventually, I guess, but not yet. I will certainly look for Whiskey When We're Dry and thanks for the recommendation, Les!

      Delete
  5. Maples are always a cheering sight, green, gold, or red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I love Japanese maples, for their fringe-y leaves, their colors, and their intricate shapes. :)

      Delete
  6. I got my letter - oh my goodness you are so creative! And, loving the view of your garden. The costumes on A Mighty Girl are so clever and all kinds of awesome. I have a couple of friends who have little girls so I have to share this with them. Hopefully Halloween will be back on next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm always glad when a letter arrives safely. :) A Mighty Girl has such good ideas for costumes...and books for girls!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!