Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Waiting Game

Yesterday, I showed you the fabric with the flour resist that I did using Jane LaFazio's tutorial.  I painted over the flour resist and took pictures while the paint was drying. 


 I let the paint set for 24 hours, then gave it a good rinse to get rid of the flour paste, and then washed it in the washing machine. almost like it better before rinsing off the flour paste, but I'm pleased with the outcome.


Some details:


I debated giving the strips another coat of resist and another paint job, but decided to leave these.  

Today I worked on two more pieces using a thinner coat of resist.  Not sure how they will turn out, but I think I'll try putting them through the process again, just for comparison.

Below are some of the cabbage leaves that I showed you the other day, now wrapped in silk around the coffee can.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the prints will work.  The bundle is silk wrapped around the cabbage stalk.  Will I be able to refrain from unwrapping for a month?


 See how sheer the silk is?  You can see the 
leaves right through it.


Finished bailing out the fountain for its spring clean up this afternoon.  Lots of leaves soaking in there from the recent thunder storms, and some gravel and stones that Bryce Eleanor added on various occasions.

Glad that job is done!

6 comments:

  1. I love your flour paste results. Much better than mine! Re: the cabbage leaves on tin can, how did you process the bundle? Or is your intention cold bundling and letting it sit for practically ever? Seems like if it was steeped or steamed for a couple hours and then let sit for just a few days, you could derive good prints. Or maybe try bundles both ways -- hot and cold bundling -- to see which gives best results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful results! I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your results are fantastic with the flour paste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie - Yes, the intention was cold bundling, but you are right about steaming, and I may do that yet. I'm not so good about the long waiting process for cold bundling!

    The color on the stalk began to transfer almost immediately, but the leaves are transferring at a much slower rate. Much more intense color from the stalk.

    Karen S Thanks, Karen!

    Suz - Thanks, Suz! I like working with the flour paste and plan on even more experiments. Good thing I like the process more than the product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I can wait a month to see what those cabbage leaves do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephie - I don't know if I can wait, either! I may end up steaming the leaves to hurry up the process!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!