Thursday, March 21, 2024

The Dark Wives by Ann Cleeves

 

When a young man's body is found outside a care home, Vera is concerned not just with the murder, but with the disappearance of a fourteen-year-old girl at the same time. Reading from the girl's journal, Vera resists the opinion that the girl is responsible, but knows that finding Chloe Spence is of utmost importance whether or not Chloe is guilty. Then another death escalates the suspense and confusion.

The team is undergoing a transition (and some guilt) after Holly's death, and Rosie Bell, the new team member has to find a way in. Rosie has a surprising empathy with families of victims which gives her a contrast with Holly. Her determination is evident, and I like her addition to the team.

Vera is much less curmudgeonly than in earlier novels, but she continues holding on to her opinions before sharing with her team, which is not always in everyone's best interest.

As always, Ann Cleeves draws the reader in with both great plotting and character development. I also appreciated the focus on care homes for profit at the expense of the young people who need help, which is a matter of concern in both the UK and the US.

The conclusion was... broader than expected and evidence of the author's ability to throw in the unanticipated. Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC.


4 comments:

  1. I have yet to try any of these books in the Vera series, but we've been watching the TV series and I love it! Someday I'll start from the beginning and read the books, but they're probably too familiar and fresh in my mind, at this point. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the books years ago, and as a result, had trouble with the tv series, but I think most people feel the other way and like the the tv series better. In the early books, so much time is spent on the curmudgeonly characteristics and Vera's weight, I think it turned a lot of people off.
      Actually, I thought I was publishing this to my book blog!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read (or watched) any of the Vera series but I've read the first two Matthew Venn books. The first one was a series, which I watched, too. I do love the characters. And i love how atmospheric her stories are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been disappointed in Cleeves, except maybe that last book in the Shetland series because I was not tired of Jimmy Perez and didn't want it to end. But yes, I like Matthew Venn, too!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!