Sunday, July 12, 2020

Hot and Humid

It isn't even 2:00 here and 94 degrees with a heat index of 111 degrees.  Worse in Texas.  

3:40.  97 degrees, heat index 114!  
-------------
Shortly after I wrote this yesterday, our power went out.  No lights, no stove, no AC!  In a short time, my husband and I were drenched in sweat after sitting outside and came inside to discover the lack of power.  SWEPCO notice first said power would be restored by 9:00, then revised it to 12:00 AM.  

Let me just say that listening to our backyard neighbor's generator did not make us feel any better.  Life is pretty boring in the sweltering dark, and sleep was hard to come by.  At least I had my Kindle to entertain my sweaty self.  Around midnight, blessed power was restored and the AC kicked in.  

A generator may be in our future.  In fact, I imagine everyone who was near enough to hear his generator will be wanting one.  What with global warming and heat advisories and brownouts(?), the experience of what life in Louisiana would be like without air conditioning was a wake-up call.  

Things I am newly grateful for:  AC; appliances that run off of electricity--refrigerator, stove, fans; a morning shower after a miserable sweaty night.  Things I've taken for granted and appreciated only in an intellectual way, I  now have a new, personal sense of gratitude for. 

It will be as bad today, but hopefully we will have power.  South Louisiana can expect the possibility of heat indexes up to 120 degrees.  Areas to our west, Texas and Arizona will have even higher temperatures.
--------
I'm growing sunflowers, although it has been unintentional.  Below the bird feeders, I've had  sunflowers shooting up.  

Cheerful!


I had not realized I was sinking into a depression, until a couple of weeks ago.  Not from the pandemic per se, but from all of the related issues.  

I've been battling this attitude by trying to keep in mind the good things.  And there are many.  So far, my daughters and their families are safe, and Amelia tested negative after contact with someone who had the virus.  A long phone call with my best friend who had made a list of positive developments and keeps an optimistic outlook.  The garden.  My husband let me win a Michigan rummy game--finally.  Books.  Even last night's experience had a funny side.

And this:

10 comments:

  1. We have been horribly hot and humid here too. With a prolonged dry spell-scary becasue we have an old fashioned hand dug well. The well is lined with rocks-it's beautiful. We were told when we bought this place that the well had never gone dry-and we have found that to be true. The well is only about 16 feet deep.
    It's really bad when power goes off-I hate that. Your bouquets are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! When we were first married we lived in the country and our well problems have become the stuff of family legend. It never went dry, but the pump went out and hauling buckets of water is no fun. Hope your well continues its never-go-dry record, Debra!

      Delete
  2. Ugh. That kind of heat is so draining! And trying to sleep without any AC is miserable, if not impossible. I wish I could send you some of our cool ocean breezes or at least the cloudy skies that may bring rain. Your flowers are quite pretty. I've always thought daisies and sunflowers are the most cheerful flowers out there! I'm sorry you've been in a funk, but it's not surprising. I think it takes a very optimistic person to keep their spirits high during all of these news of late. Getting outside always seems to help boost my mood, but I doubt I'd go anywhere when it's as hot as it is in your neck of the woods. Hang in there! Sending virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm. Even the thought of those cool ocean breezes feels good! This heat wave is worse than usual, and the heat is suffocating from California to Florida. Thankful for the power being restored here and hope those who must work in these conditions keep safe and hydrated! Thanks for the encouragement, Les!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read you lost the A/C for a while. Prayers your depression lifts.
    The constant worry can create a mess of blahs, depression. Four months into this pandemic, I'm hoping the state of emergency continues until there's a vacine so folks won't become too relaxed with precautions. I watched a sunflower bobbing in the wind the other day, and it gave me a relaxing joy.
    The humidity here in Vermont was brutal for a couple of days. Reminds me of Texas.

    Lead by example would have been helpful if our leadership here in the USA understood that importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The depression was a gradual thing, but for so many people the continuing bad news on every front was bound to have an effect. Around here, it seems that a majority of people don't take the situation seriously, but our cases have been increasing at a frightening pace. Our governor has done a good job, despite opposition, and I'm grateful that he has been a leader when we needed it.

      I wonder how differently the pandemic would have played out if the president (and congress) had taken a leadership role early...

      Delete
  4. I think many of us, if we're honest, have been struggling more as the time has gone on. I know it doesn't help much to be told I'm thinking of you. but I am, and I have some empathy for how you're feeling.
    Apart from the temperature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. The world seems to be spinning off in a direction I never anticipated. All of the associated problems and uncertainties month after month and day after day do take a toll. I truly appreciate your thoughtful response. Right now, I'm trying to avoid negative thinking and concentrate on the good things. :)

      Delete
    2. I keep losing my comments on this old computer which apparently is going off and on the internet. I can't even remember what I had said. Hang in there during this crazy time.

      Delete
    3. It is difficult at times. Disappointing that we have not managed any of our problems better. We all have to hang in there and hope for the best.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!