Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Tlhis and That

There are blogs I visit simply because they make me smile.  Odile Baillouel's blog is one of those.  I love seeing what her mice are getting up to.  





British Library Asks Nation's Children to Write Miniature Books in Lockdown

The Bronte's miniature books have always fascinated me, as does anything miniature (like the mice and their activities above).  Many kids would enjoy creating their own books,  then writing and illustrating them.   
"The library is asking children to share their homemade miniature books with its Twitter account @BL_Learning using the hashtag #DiscoveringChildrensBooks, or send them by email to learning@bl.uk. It will commission an illustrator to create a virtual bookshelf to display the work."
 This link has several tips on planning and creating a book for the project.  

Not that kids are the only ones making books.  :)  There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.
-------------
Mail:  two letters I've sent haven't arrived weeks after I sent them.  I know a couple have, but I don't know about at least six more sent since mid-April.   An email from Connie mentioned that she didn't get her letter.  Bryce Eleanor didn't get hers.  

Reading:  These are my favorite reads from NetGalley recently.  Since they are ARCs, they haven't been published yet, but I enjoyed them tremendously.


Pandemic Activity

Embroidery.  When I get a little antsy about the news, I pick up the needle and work on the poetry quotes.



Garden.  I spend some time each day watching birds or weeding.  Overcast this morning, but blooms are cheerful.


Mother's Day.  Face time with Erin and Mila; Amelia, Chris, and Bryce Eleanor drove by with a gift and a Happy Mother's Day poster.   Fee made Eggs Benedict for brunch, accompanied by Mimosas.  I just miss hugging my daughters and grands.


11 comments:

  1. The mice are adorable! Never thought I would write that sentence. ha. I love that you spend time stitching poetry. It's so funny to me to read about people being bored at home. I get it, that everyone wants to go back to normal and being able to go out but I so appreciate having so many hobbies to fall into during these times. Granted, I do wish life was back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun to see what Odile's mice get up to! I've been surprised at some of the people who feel that staying home has so many benefits. Not that anyone wants this to continue forever, but many have benefited in unexpected ways. This article about Japan's suicide rates declining during the virus surprised me: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/japan-suicides-fall-sharply-as-covid-19-lockdown-causes-shift-in-stress-factors

      Delete
  2. I love being home-I find tons of stuff to do, and put off doing stuff I just don't wanna do right now! (CLeaning). Your garden flowers are beautiful-loved the mice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I find myself putting off things I don't want to do, too!

      Delete
  3. The mail may yet arrive - ours is varying between weeks late and no worse than usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie sent another email saying she received her letter. I'm sure problems will continue, but mail carriers continue to do their best in a bad situation. Certain areas are bound to be more affected than others.

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's all about balance, isn't it? And moderation. We had eggs Benedict (with crab cakes) for Mother's Day, too. Delicious, but so rich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Eggs Benedict, but they are rich even without crab cakes!

      Delete
  5. I love your embroidery quotes; such nice lettering you do. My daughter visited on Mother's Day. No hugs! :~/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The embroidery offers the kind of busy work I need sometimes, and I've loved poetry since I was a child and found my mother's poetry books. For a long time, I've collected quotes about poetry, usually by the poet's themselves and used them for mail art during National Poetry Month. This year, I'm combining pandemic pastime and poetry month just for me. :)

      Delete
  6. I loved your this and that post, which allowed me to catch up on how you are doing and what you are doing--I like mouse miniatures, too. It may have started with Tom and Jerry books and cartoons as a child. I'm trying to achieve that balance, too. Oreos, maybe that's the answer. I usually cook something, then work to give all we can't eat away. Too bad you all don't live closer though we were in North Bossier at the Subaru dealership this week.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!