Monday, April 27, 2020

Monday, I think...

 Bryce Eleanor had a school assignment that required an "older relative," so she emailed me for three pics and three childhood memories.  I'm certainly the oldest grandmother.

(Amelia says B.E. is keeping up with her online assignments.  That is something else that interests me--how teachers are doing with lesson plans and grading and other elements of online learning.  I like this assignment from one of her teachers.)

This is one of the pics I sent her.

People thought we were twins!

The photos and memories were from Beeville, TX and Casper, Wyoming,
and it was fun to think about memories from so long ago.


back of the envelope--with image from 
the sheet of dragon stamps.

postcard to Suzie


Connie sent me a bundle of old envelopes!  Some are making their way into collage, some will be going out to other snail mailers.  If you are interested in some old envelopes with interesting addresses and old stamps, let me know.  :)



I started this post a couple of days ago, and this morning, I saw a post on Margarete Miller's blog:  Inspirational Glue Book Artist:  Connie Rose.  Connie is, indeed, an inspirational collage artist and fortunately, a friend and correspondent!   Connie's Instagram.


This morning--watching the squirrel move straight down the fence!  This is the second time I've watched this and didn't have my phone to take a pic.  

I was reminded of images of Dracula climbing down the castle wall--but the squirrel has none of Dracula's sinister traits, just makes me grin at his antics.  Head first and very carefully, legs spread, he descends straight down.  (No, I've no idea whether the squirrel is male or female, but refuse to use the plural "they.") I wonder why the change from coming down the crab apple tree in the corner, which is much easier.   

So far this morining, I've finished one letter and started another.  I'm enclosing some of Connie's gifted envies for recipients.   Hope to get both in today's mail.

New stamp arrived; the others were pre-ordered but should be arriving soon.  The image doesn't have the metallic element that makes these so pretty.
And last, but not least, Teresa posted on her blog Views From My Highland Cottage.   I've posted about her library before--yes, I know it is house envy, but I can't help it.


Now back to finishing the letter.  Later, laundry.  And Snickers--bite size. :)

16 comments:

  1. Love that picture of you! Such a great idea for a school project too.
    I do love old envelopes and have made books with some. Your paper art is beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great school project, and I enjoyed thinking back to decide on stories. I wish I'd asked my parents more about their childhoods. If you are interested in some old envelopes, Debra, let me know and I'll send you some!

      Delete
  2. What a darling photograph! And it was interesting to see the old envelopes which lack zip codes. BTW, all this time I thought your name was Jenclair, but I noticed your return address and see that it's Jenny Claire. :) Do you go by Jen or Jenny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les! My name is Jenny Claire, but when my husband set up my email account years ago, he used jenclaire and I continued. Most people call me Jen or Jenny. When my daughter was pregnant with my first granddaughter, I had a dream with her holding my hand and calling me Jenny Claire, now all three of them refer to me as Jenny Claire. :) It's my "grandmother name," and I love it. The only other person who used Jenny Claire was my father, so it has special meaning for me that the kids use that for me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing your name story! My full name is Lesley, but those close to me call me Les so that's why I've always used that in my emails and blog names. Plus, I got tired of seeing my name misspelled, so I figured Les was a good compromise. :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful stash of envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and so darn many that I need to share!

      Delete
  4. Great mail going out, Jen. I love the old envelopes and postage. The creativity of postage stamps sure has come along way since way back then, hasn’t it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having some fun with the old envelopes. If you would like some, I'd be happy to send some off to you. Postage stamps are so much more interesting now...and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have an audio tape of my nephew interviewing my dad and mother about their WW II experiences. Now my nephew just plowed thru his questions and never allowed them to amplify their answers, but it's still fun to hear my parents' voices as well as my nephew's voice as a boy. My mother wrote two volumes of her memoirs so she shared some details of her childhood during the Depression. She then compiled a volume of my dad's letters written to his parents during the war when he was in the navy. He shows a softer side of Daddy that we didn't see, or recognize, specifically in the way he loved his mama and the importance of family to him. Such a sweet photo of you two. I know BE will treasure your memories and photos. My sisters and I have been texting for a couple days looking for a specific old family photo--and who knows where it is. Thanks for mentioning the blog post. That's sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother did a great job for you and your sisters. There was an audiotape of my cousin who was a doctor in Vietnam recorded in a hospital tent with all kinds of artillery going off.
      My father's letters during the war also showed another side of the war and how young the men were. He was a navigator stationed on the coast of England. One letter to his mother talked about buying a kitten for a girlfriend in a neighboring village. He and Mother went to England years later and visited with her and her husband.

      War letters are always so touching, and it is a shame that more recent conflicts have not produced the same kind of personal correspondence. When Amelia's husband Chris was overseas, they Skyped, which was great, but a different approach to the memories recorded in letters.

      Delete
  7. Ooh old envelopes! If you find that you want to get rid of some, I'd be happy to take one! :)
    That picture you sent B.E. is so sweet. I look forward to visiting some of the other links you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get some in the mail to you, Iliana!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful memories and collage art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that Bryce Eleanor's teacher gave the assignment for memories. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!