Friday, June 05, 2020

"There's something happening here..."

I wrote the following post before the protests.  Then watched, shaken by what has been going on, not in one state, but all over the country.  I admire the protesters, hate the looting and destruction, and am devastated by the police violence.   

Watching the difference between those who respond to peaceful protesters (not the looters or those attacking the police) with violence and those who have a taken a knee or walked with protesters as they marched should be educational--one invites more anger and the second can keep things more peaceful.   

There are criminals on both sides, but the majority of the protesters are justified in their desire for change and there are plenty of police and National Guard who want to avoid aggressive action.  I know which America I hope will prevail.  The difference is often found in the leaders on the local, state, and national level who decide on what rhetoric to take, who in both words and actions guide the response.


---original post


How odd that the days and weeks seem to pass so quickly.  Weeks seem to begin and end almost before I've realized it.  Of course, it is a bit difficult to keep track of days--one being so much like another.  

In a time so divided by politics and forceful opinions, it is also interesting to note the divide in the way quarantine has affected people.  Almost everyone has felt fear and frustration, but after the initial period there have been gradual changes in attitude.  

So much depends on circumstances:  out of work or work from home (a paycheck coming in is crucial); alone or with a partner and/or family-how much harder for those who have gone through this alone; like to read or have hobbies and are those hobbies the kind suitable for home or those that require being out and about like golf.  City, suburban, or rural.  (We live in the suburbs, and I have access to my small garden which has allowed me to be out whenever I want,  but what if I didn't have that?  Those in apartments would have had a much more difficult situation.)  

 Rainy day last week



Introvert or extrovert.  Both introverts and extroverts have difficulties, but those who have large social commitments and activities that are curtailed or canceled can suffer greater anxiety.  


I can't imagine a job as a key worker who must go to work even if he or she were fearful of contracting the virus and then taking it home to family.
I've been surprised, however, at how well some of my family and friends have adjusted.  After the first phase (for me, that was wandering around the house unable to to do what I normally do), some have appreciated the change from their pre-pandemic schedules.  Not that they aren't still frustrated, anxious, and fearful at times, but they have begun to set a different rhythm to their lives that has its own perks.  The problem for many of us is wondering how long the virus will be a threat, especially if there is a second wave.  And will the changes put in effect (masks, social distancing) be the way of the future.  


 Even as things open up, we won't see the end of the problems Covid 19 created and revealed for quite some time to come. 

---------- I intensely dislike the New Blogger.  

10 comments:

  1. I have been one of the lucky ones, too, continuing to embroider, finding more time to paint, even read - just not social media! It will be post-lockdown which will be hard to me, as my already strong tendency towards hermitlike behaviour has had a distinct boost!

    From this side of the Atlantic, too, we watch in outrage and distress, and pray that the America of welcome and equality will triumph. For that, perhaps, all of us across the world who realise our privilege need to learn to listen to those whose experience is different, and ask how we can help. I am heartened, at least, that it seems that that is beginning to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already had hermit tendencies as well, aided by a husband who willingly makes it easier for me to avoid going out much. So yes, those hermit tendencies have been boosted by staying home even more.

      The violence and division here just gets worse. It is more worrying to me than the virus to see what is playing out across the nation.

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you have shared, Jenclair. I've watched a few montage videos that have used For What It's Worth and the images break my heart and make my blood boil. By the way, your video of Buffalo Springfield doesn't show up. You have to embed that code in the HTML mode and not in the compose mode. I went back to the old Blogger since I don't care for the new one, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went back to old Blogger and now the video shows up. Thanks, Les! I have found so much of what has gone on horrifying. Depressing that some people can ignore or justify the violence against unarmed and peaceful citizens of this country.

      Delete
  3. Most days, for good or bad, I can almost forget about what is going on out there in the world. The only thing I can do, anyway, is to try making my little corner of the world a little better (and, come to think about it, if everyone did that, it surely would cover a lot of territory.) I have just totally lost myself in that primitive little garden plot this spring and loved every minute of it! And, wow, how your garden has grown. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we all tended our gardens, both literally and figuratively. :) Gardening does keep things in perspective and keeps me busy.

      Delete
  4. I wish people would just be more conscientious. I feel like now that States are opening up people are acting very cavalier and not wearing masks and ignoring necessary precautions. Loving your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! The masks may not be comfortable, especially in the summer heat, but they may save someone's life. Got your letter! Yay!

      Delete
  5. Your garden is lovely again this year. With the increased heat and lack of rain, keeping things alive are a challenge here across the river. I'm largely staying in. I've taken advantage of social distancing to resign from some of my community positions, and I'm happy that I did. I"m also fully retired. I just keep saying "no" to any part time work opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still discovering all of your comments that went to the moderation section.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!