Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Stitching, Reading, and Stuff

Stitching

25 Million Stitches.  Still working on panel #3.  I seem to be spending all my spare time on this panel.  Which is a good thing for my blood pressure as I avoid as much news as possible.






Christmas bags finished.  Both of these were started a year or two ago,  and it took very little time to finish them up.  When I get a chance (after finishing the last panel for 25 Million Stitches), I'm going to select some fabric from my stash for making more bags, not necessarily for Christmas, but for gifts of various sizes.  It will help cut back on my stash and be useful for avoiding wrapping paper for birthdays, etc.  

Well, Darn--I discovered multiple tiny holes in one of my favorite cotton sweaters;  evidently I was backing up to close to the fire when more logs were thrown on at the camp.  Sooo...I decided to try darning.  




Books/Reading
Just finished these two mysteries.  I enjoyed both of them.  

















Goals--another week done.   Shortest yoga practice 26 min.; longest 55 min.  At least 2 miles a day.  A visit to an Antique Show for my "get out of the house" goal.  :)  A third week checked off!  I may get all the way through January after all.

There were some beautiful things at the Antique Show, but I didn't need anything and was happy to walk the aisles, view, and appreciate all the interesting booths.  I did find a couple of gifts for the girls.  
Love these ceramic thimbles
which will go to Erin at some point.




Two of these coffee cups in Desert Rose for Amelia.
She has my mother's Franciscan Ware in this pattern,
but the cups are different.




It's cold and rainy here, and my internet connection has been off all day.  It just came back on, but slow, slow, annoyingly slow.

14 comments:

  1. I am loving all those beautiful stitches! What a lovely thing to do on a cold winter's day! (And, to keep the blood pressure way down low!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about the repetitive motion of stitching that works, but on occasion, cleaning the pantry works as well. Says the woman who has also spent several days going shelf by shelf. :)

      Delete
  2. Avoiding the news is a good idea at present, I think. And stitching is such a pleasing way to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I don't want to be an ostrich, but I don't want the news to keep me stirred up. Retreating to stitching is a peaceful interlude. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, those stitching panels are MUCH larger than I imagined. Beautifully done. Your hand stitching is glorious.
    Sewing your own unique and reusable gift bags is a great idea and a tremendous earth saver.
    Did you enjoy the darning? I could send you some work. Haha
    Finding the small gift treasures at the antique show must have been a fun and relaxing treasure hunt. Especially if you weren’t looking for anything specific. I love gift shopping that way...when I don’t have something specific in mind and a treasure presents itself unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first two panels were the smaller 17" length. Tackling the longer length made me take a deep breath--36 inches to fill! I can't exactly say I enjoyed the darning, but I didn't hate it. It was just annoying to keep finding those darn little holes.

      It was such a pleasure to find the thimbles and cups, and I left feeling only $20 lighter and extremely satisfied to find two personal gifts for the girls. Unexpected treasure is exactly right!

      Delete
  4. I never watch the news or read a newspaper! I guess I'm pretty ignorant of all the world goings-on. I don't exaggerate-I really couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone about current events. But that doesn't mean I'm not passionate about some topics-global warming for one, and just being kind to humans and animals. My faith. I have still not made a real effort to get out of my cozy home. My studio is just too nice! And it's COLD outside! I LOVE the darning you did on your sweater. I may put some weaving on a sweater even if it doesn't have a hole! The thimbles are gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could all agree that kindness, courtesy, respect (for people, animals, and the earth) should be our guides. Staying in when it is cold or rainy is a good thing. There is always plenty to do, isn't there? Enjoy your studio and your painting, Debra!

      Delete
  5. The sweater darning looks like cheerful stars. Glad the holes are small, you weren't burned.
    Thank you for the book recommends. Winter us a nice time for audio books. I will see if the titles are in audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favorite sweaters, cotton but warm enough for our climate. I may need to get some audio books to accompany my daily activities like walking. :)

      Delete
  6. That panel is gorgeous! I still have a fabric bag my college roommate made for me in college to put my curlers in. Who knows I may still have the curlers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goal for the 25 Million Stitches project: "one stitch for each refugee. How does making 25 million stitches help refugees? We believe that this project is a way for us to engage with this global crisis instead of ignoring it. And even though no single stitch can fully represent an individual, the act of stitching and the resulting work will help bring attention to the scale of the crisis." I've already mailed two panels in, but this longer panel has been a challenge!

      Funny, but I was thinking about the time we spent under hairdryers the other day. Every girl in the dorm spent hours under those portable dryers. I need a laughing with a tear emoji here!

      Delete
  7. Your panel is beautiful and what a good idea about the Christmas bags. I love to see all the crafty stuff you make. It's been a while since I've been thrifting/antiquing and I love those little thimbles you found. Hope you continue doing so well with your yoga practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I've finished it now and will be getting this latest panel in the mail soon. The 25 Million Stitches project has been a good experience. Aren't those ceramic thimbles pretty? Some of them are advertising for tourist locations and there were a lot to choose from. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!