Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Mail, Trolls, Mighty Girls

Last Week's Outgoing Mail


These had to go to the P.O. for postage

I ended up sticking Max's book inside the package with Mila's embroidered pouch/envelope.



Embroidery

Started another white piece, but instead of using different threads and floss, 
I'm using the same fine pearl cotton thread all over.


I found this link on Iliana's blog:  


I fell in love with Thomas Dambo's giant trolls.
There is a wonderful video if you follow the above link.

I discovered A Mighty Girl a while back and love it!  

Ignite Her Curiosity:  The Best STEM Books to Inspire Science-Loving Mighty Girls.  You have to scroll way down to get to middle-school books, but they all look great.

In a world that continues to emphasizes a woman's appearance, the effect on children has become even more evident.
"A study by the Girl Scouts found that 80% of 10-year-old girls are afraid of getting fat, and other studies have found that 85% of women and 79% of girls have opted out of activities due to a lack of body confidence. With kids and teens being exposed to narrow standards of beauty in media, marketing, and online, many adults may wonder what they can do to turn the tide."
Check out 7 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body 
I love "focus on what bodies do."   And there is
another list of good books for different ages.


8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be a teen again now for anything you could offer! My generation had a much easier ride...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Growing up now is a treacherous journey.

      Delete
  2. Jen, your mail is such fun! I love that colorful painted dragon and his delightful valance. That piece will make people smile all the way to its destination. Bits of fun on the other pieces too. So much more better than a plain ole envelope.
    Your impromptu embroidery is creative and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I hope the recipients enjoy receiving them as much as I enjoy decorating the envelopes. And I really hope that the three books provide a few hours of entertainment!

      Delete
  3. I love that you have started another white piece! I wonder if my Mary Boyer in my last post ever decorated her envelopes. I hope she did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about about Mary Boyer, but I love looking at illustrated envelops from the 1800's on. Victorian envelopes

      Delete
  4. Love seeing all the envelopes and your embroidery work. I found a nearby shop that has embroidery classes and am seriously considering taking one. Not that I need another hobby but I just love how embroidery looks.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!