Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Halloween Flip Book

This is one of the things I lost during my recent clean and organize episodes.
My original plan was to make a Halloween envelope flip book for each of the grands.
However, regardless of how quick and easy folks on YouTube make flip books seem,
it took me forever to get this far.


 open to first and last page
 flipped first page
 middle

Choosing papers and cutting them to size to paste on the envelopes was time-consuming for me, as I am not skilled at precision measurements.  

When I rediscovered my flip book, I moved on to embellishing the pages...


first and last

 opening to middle
with tags tucked in pockets

 turn another page

 last pages
If I were going to mail this, I would tuck a letter in the last pocket.


Artist Trading Coins and Tag slipped into some pockets


all folded up
 front

 and last
a bit of Velcro keeps the flap closed

I kept the embellishments fairly flat and only used 3 envelopes because I originally thought I was going to make three to mail.  I'm not sure how much postage would actually be required, and it would need to be taken to the post office for hand cancellation, but you get the idea.

The time it took me to do this, however, quickly let me know that I was not going to make two more so I could mail one each to the grands.  I may try again later with just two envelopes, but not any time soon.  I'll just put this out for a Halloween decoration in a few weeks.




My inspiration for the envelope flip book came from a Crafty Hodges' YouTube video--I enjoy her odd and whimsical approach.  She used two envelopes and a card; I used 3 envelopes and a card, but it would have been more practical to use two.   I looked at other videos for specifically Halloween envelope flip books, but they often used more envelopes and much more elaborate embellishments.  I'm not really up to that level.

A two-envelope flip book would be fun for any holiday or special occasion because they would be mail-able without additional packaging--just additional postage and hand cancelling.

To get a better idea of the simple book that Crafty Hodges created, take a look at her video.  I love her whimsical characters.  :)


Now, back to actually responding to current letters.

10 comments:

  1. I really love your envelope flip book! I’d be just like you...one was more time consuming than planned. They’re really great. I watched some of the video and it really drew me in. You’ve got a lot of fun ephemera and great details in your book. A delightful season decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I really enjoy Crafty Hodges videos, and when this one caught my attention, I had to give it a try. :) Almost as soon as I finished this post, I wanted to try again--but I have a number of projects on my To Do list and letters to answer.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I find accurate measurement tricky, to say the least. I'm very impressed that you've finished this so magnificently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never skilled with measurement or patience so it took me more time than anticipated, but maybe now I can make smaller ones more quickly. Thanks for the sweet comment, Rachel!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is neat! I watched some of the video too, and really liked the idea. I will make one for a friend! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a clever idea, isn't it? Crafty Hodges is full of inspiration. :)

      Delete
  4. That is so pretty! Such a treasure! I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos lately, thinking I will make something like this, but mostly I just watch the videos while I stitch something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I do that, too! I might write down the idea, but for the most part my YouTube videos just provide good intentions. :)

      Delete
  5. What a great job! I love this. And, your ATCs are so fun too! They'll definitely add a special touch as you flip through the book and can pull them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I do want to make another one, but not quite yet. I want to see if a small one could make it through the mail on its own. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!