Sunday, November 12, 2006

More Miscellaneous Musings

Yesterday was a beautiful return to fall here in northern Louisiana. From 86 degrees on Friday to the crisp, cool 60's yesterday. My roses, moss rose, and salvias are still going strong, and a few late re-seeds of Queen-Ann's-Lace have graced my garden. This morning I set about gathering seeds to take down to the land and cast with a prayer of hope for future wild and rambunctious flowers. The sunflowers will be beneficial for birds as well as beauty...if they take. I've also added leaves and coffee grounds and shredded newspaper to my compost heap this morning; by spring I should have another good batch.

Nina and I were the only ones in the second Tai Chi class yesterday, so we had lots of room for practice. No work on the straight sword, but lots of help in reviving the flagging saber form. It was an excellent class in refinement and forgotten details as we have not worked much on the saber in the past months. Master Guerin moves seamlessly through all that he does, and I never fail to be impressed. It is harder to reach an approximation of what I want to do in Tai Chi than anything I've ever tried. Ballet and gymnastics required more physical exertion at times, but not the same kind of discipline and attention to detail, which I think is strange. Maybe it is just that I started dance and gymnastics as a child, and the movements became ingrained early, but there is still a difference in the practice of these forms. Here is a link to an especially lovely demonstration of empty hand Wu style. Click on the "Stream" to view.

I've been playing with my NZ Corriedale wool and some needle felting. Love the colors, but the needle felting is rough on the fingers, especially as I am often careless.


Now that I've found my book, I am again immersed in Ruth Reichl's life. And what an unusual one she has led compared to my limited experience. I'm still enjoying her adventures, but am more aware of what it must have taken to survive her unusual childhood. The other book I've become involved in is Atwood's Alias Grace, and I read for about 4 hours last night (until 1:00 this morning) on first one, then the other.




9 comments:

  1. I have to laugh when you call 60 crisp & cool! That's summer weather for me!

    You really are a voracious reader! 2 books at a time! I can barely keep my eyes open long enough to read a single paragraph some evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with feeling that 60 is crisp and cool! =-) For us, that is sweater weather! Love the seed photos and the colors and feel of the wool are yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up here, 60 degrees is bare feet and shorts weather :) It has rained and rained and rained as I finished your tiny little quilt for the exchange. I am planning a large trip to the post office on Thursday and will mail it then. Great pics and lovely images called to mind from your tai chi descriptions.

    I am afraid of needle felting - that I will hurt myself badly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60 degrees sounds perfect to me!

    I like Ruth Reichl--recently finished her Garlic & Sapphires book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb - I marvel over your pictures of snow and gasp at some of your temperatures. We get very little winter...well, we CALL it winter. :)

    Debby - Not much winter in your part of the world either! We rarely take our coats out of the closet around here.

    ACey - Oh, I guess I'd better get busy and finish things up. I made an intense beginning and then began letting things slide. Mine need some embellishment and finishing touches.

    Someday I am going to get to New England in the fall and see Walden Pond in its autumn glory.

    Rian - 60 degees is pretty close to perfect! I'd love a climate that was like that all year. Have you read all of Reichl's books? As a creative cook, I bet you really appreciate the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you do Tai Chi inside or outside? I once took a Tai Chi class that was in the pool at the Y. It was a lot of fun. I really like reading about your Tai Chi classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules - At home, I practice in the back yard, but we have a group that goes to Columbia Park on MWF. At one time, I was very regular, but lately, I rarely make it. Classes are 3 days a week, inside, but with an outside practice area. We have a great group of people involved in both classes and the park group which makes it so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be careful with those felting needles and your wool. It is the only thing I do where I absoltely HAVE to pay attention to what I am doing all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rissa - I just finished with this latest needle felted project and my fingers are full of punctures!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!