Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday the 13th

I'm usually thinking Halloween projects at this time of year.  Thinking isn't doing--at least this year, I haven't managed to actually get started on anything.  I suppose it isn't surprising that getting motivated is difficult, and I'm feeling...wilted.  By the heat, the news, the social distancing again.  It behooves me to get up the stairs and make something that will keep my hands and mind occupied.  

Here's what I did do:  I ordered a CD of James Whitmore doing his one-man-show of Will Rogers and one of Hal Holbrook doing his Mark Twain one-man-show.  :)

Hoping to get a break in the heat tomorrow and maybe some rain.  

Incoming Mail

postcard from Melody in Singapore

Letter from Hannah with cross-writing on envelope.


 Outgoing Mail

I used this old envelope from 1933 to write the letter.




I haven't been keeping up with my mail to well lately.


8 comments:

  1. Here in Wisconsin we finally got a break from the heat and humidity today! It’s SO wonderful!
    Did you try to read the envelope from Hannah? I failed. My brain said stop it!
    Your cats from Rome envelope is very fun. I adore the old car dealership envelope your did your art on. I love your return address label as well as your snail mail rubber stamp. Maxine is always snarky and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is wonderful when there is a break in the heat! Invigorating, re-energizing! I'm glad we are both having a bit of a break from the oppressive weather. As for Hannah's envelope with the cross writing, my brain didn't want to work that hard either. Interesting and fun, but not great for communication. Hard to believe the lack of paper had people resorting to this in earlier times! Maxine and I are becoming more and more alike as the years pass. :)

      Delete
  2. I always wonder how people managed to read letters where the lines cross like that, and they must have done, because it was very much the Done Thing at one time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to read the handwriting in old letters anyway, and to have it cross-written like that! Hannah did tell me what she'd written, a quotation, not a personal message. :)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard about cross writing, but I did read a letter from world war I where the serviceman was complaining about lack of paper. Handwriting has become harder for me to read as I don't have to decipher it much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letters from the front are fascinating to me. There must have been all kinds of hardships involved in writing letters during wars. Even though educators are realizing the benefits of learning cursive (and I certainly agree), reading another's handwriting can be a challenge!

      Delete
  4. Love love all the mail art! And the cartoon-I surely identify with that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Yep, that cartoon explains a lot of incidences in which I ask myself, "Why did I come in here?" :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!