Friday, August 06, 2021

Stuff and Nonsense

Crafty Stuff:  More Nightmare Catchers done.  






Still enjoying the process.

Interesting: 

In the 1970's, when Norman Cousins was diagnosed with a degenerative disease predicted to paralyze and eventually kill him, he checked himself out of the hospital and began his own treatment with laughter as the medicine. 

 "He had films of Candid Camera and the Marx Brothers brought in. He read all sorts of funny books, and he discovered that ten minutes of a belly laugh gave him twenty minutes of pain-free sleep. And little by little, as it came to be famously remembered, he laughed himself back to health."(Source)  

Much has been written about health and humor since Norman Cousins' use of laughter in healing his illness. And there is this-- Laughter remains good medicine:  "It’s true: laughter is strong medicine. It draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts mood, diminishes pain, and protects you from the damaging effects of stress. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hope, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert. It also helps you release anger and forgive sooner."

I read about Norman Cousins in the 1970's, and I try to keep it in mind, especially now with so many things to worry about!  I love to laugh, and sometimes it is necessary to turn to cat videos or Bored Panda to keep the world in perspective.  Laughter strengthens the immune system, so we should all find reasons to laugh more!

Garden:

Cheerful Crepe Myrtle Blooms



When I vacuum, I put these footstools up on the couch.  The dreadful duo love it.


 Fire Department Prank


14 comments:

  1. LOL!
    Loudest laugh of the month! That is so funny!
    I try to stay up to watch the opening of The Late Late show with James Corden. Even when I don't get what they are laughing about, I laugh anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Even hearing James Corden's name makes me smile. Laughter is contagious, that's why those laughing baby videos make us happy.

      Delete
  2. The "free donuts was very funny - the police everywhere seem to have a coffee and donuts kind of reputation.Thanks for sharing you precious cats - we have 2 as well LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the police will respond to the fire department. Not as easy as the coffee and donuts prank! Edgrr and Stinker are siblings and as different in appearance, weight, and personality as the can possibly be. :)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your new nightmare catchers! Each always has its own personality. The first looks like he just swallowed your nightmare. The second has a great poker face. The third wants you to guess what she’s been up to. The last one is a good secret keeper. I love them! The flowers are so pretty. The cats are funny. The donut joke is funny. Yes, laughter is the best of everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Sometimes we have to work at laughter, then we are surprised it works!

      Delete
  4. You really are loving the process, aren't you!

    There's a Twitter account that posts pictures of Red Pandas, and that always makes me smile..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am enjoying the process! Simple and fun. Red Pandas and koalas and quokas all make me happy!
      love the expression of this quoka

      Delete
  5. Yay! I loved this post! Inspiring and so true! You make me smile very time with your new monsters. The garden pics are always so nice to look at too. God bless you! I hope your week is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Hope you have a beautiful week, too!

      Delete
  6. Thoroughly enjoyable post! Most of us need a nightmare catcher these days,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, there is plenty of stress to bring on bad dreams in the world right now!

      Delete
  7. Your nightmare catchers definitely bring a smile! Listening to the blues cheers me up. We recently watched a rerun of a special on Louisiana-born, Chicago Blues man, Buddy Guy. I think it was Muddy Waters that said, It's a strange thing about the blues--you have to know the blues to play them, but once you play them, the blues disappear. I've been listening to Beth Hart sing, "I'd rather go blind" (Etta James standard) appearing with Joe Bonamassa at a show in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the Blues have a cathartic effect and the pleasure of listening actually counteracts the personal blues. Sometimes, I put on Ann Murray's children's album to lift my spirits, or listen to Tom T. Hall's "Sneaky Snake" to make me laugh, but there is also benefit from giving in to and getting rid of the Blues.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!