Thursday, December 10, 2020

This and That

 I love this photo because it is beautiful and because it reminds me of when I was in the second grade and my friends and I would make "rooms" by raking the leaves under the huge oak tree during recess.  

What a wonderful way for the grown-up to play!

 Creative raking. Leafcircles in Osijek, Croatia today 
Photo: Maria Jelečdd  



Mail

from Iliana, a beautiful envelope,

and an equally beautiful letter inside!



Outgoing



I've also sent a few Christmas cards in the envelopes they came with.  I donate to a few places like the Wilderness Society, and they send me wonderful cards with fantastic photos of animals and nature--I couldn't resist using some of them. 

Books/reading 

Fun 
from review:  Alexandra has just taken charge of her new team, a motley crew of screw-ups at the Arizona Field Office, the latest in a series of forgettable assignments. With a history of rebelling against authority and blunt speaking, she vows to change her ways and make this assignment work.

Just fun with likable characters and bad cover.  


Stormy Weather by Paulette Jiles is a gripping look at the depression in West Texas.  

from description:  Oil is king of East Texas during the darkest years of the Great Depression. The Stoddard girls—responsible Mayme, whip-smart tomboy Jeanine, and bookish Bea—know no life but an itinerant one, trailing their father from town to town as he searches for work on the pipelines and derricks; that is, when he's not spending his meager earnings at gambling joints, race tracks, and dance halls. And in every small town in which the windblown family settles, mother Elizabeth does her level best to make each sparse, temporary house they inhabit a home.

A remarkable look at the depression and the dust bowl in West Texas in the 1930's.   The hardships of the times are so graphically rendered--as is the determination to "make do" and survive.  A look at the early oil fields as well as the efforts of ordinary people to look for a better future.  

I'm the kind of person
who enjoys soups and gumbo
and having the next meal attended to. :)
 

7 comments:

  1. What creative leaf racking! I love it. Your mail is always so fun. I especially love the new fun you’ve been having with recycling envelopes with art. I know that pot! I love meals that come from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves make such a beautiful, if impermanent, scene. When Cate sent all of the envelopes, I gave away a bunch, but still so many left! It has been fun using them in different ways. :) My husband recently made a big pot of chili that made several delicious meals, so the meme was perfect as we enjoyed the "three day" meals!

      Delete
  2. That is a creative way to rake leaves. lol
    The pot...made me laugh. That's so funny, and true.
    Have a fu week-end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes leaf raking more entertaining! Yep, three days of meals can be a good thing--depending on who you ask. :)

      Delete
  3. The leaf raking is really beautiful, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so! An ephemeral beauty that is so typical of nature. :)

      Delete
  4. That leaf raking is a whole other level! Love. And, I got your Christmas card and love the polar bear.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!