Wednesday, November 25, 2020

We're expecting a bit of a cold front and may finally get a hard frost, so these may be the last of the summer flowers.


 Mail






Books/Reading: 
Whiskey When We're Dry is an epic novel about the Old West and makes no attempt to romanticize the conditions or the violence of life on the frontier in the 1880's.  Life was hard and as Hobbes said--often short and brutish.  

It has the same scope of Lonesome Dove, but a very different bunch of characters.  Les (thanks Les!) recommended this one, and I haven't really wrapped my mind around reviewing it for my book blog   (a book is like) A Garden in the Pocket, but I can't get it out of my mind.  Larison has done a superb job of world building and his characters are remarkable.  I was totally immersed in this one.

Covid
Governor Edwards put Louisiana back in a modified Stage Two as the increase in Covid has been so sharp.  Of course, he made a heartfelt request for people to avoid Thanksgiving gatherings, but it is clear that many feel it is worth the risk.  

Not us.  Ours will be a quiet day with an attempt to make it non-traditional, rather than an imitation of past holidays.  However, I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you all will be safe and well!

-------
My daughter has a rescue dog that cannot tolerate thunder; even the tranquilizer the vet prescribed is only of moderate help.  Leo has a lot of emotional problems--I'm going to recommend beer since this dog seems cool. :)


And just a reminder about my habit of sharing too much!







12 comments:

  1. Your flowers....now for the anticipation of Spring (because I personally would love to skip over Winter). It’s pretty but it’s too cold. The mail is such fun. I’ve got to look into the book. I LOVED the movie Lonesome Dove. I didn’t read the book though. The dog is so funny and really, how funny and true the diary and online writing. Ha! Happy Thanksgiving Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hard frost has still not arrived! We have yet to get down below about 42 (on a couple of occasions); I checked my journal from last year and we had overnight lows in the low 30's early in November last year. Another weird adjustment for the year. If things keep on like this, we may eliminate winter entirely in this area! I took another few flower pics today to hold onto them a while longer. Poor dogs who have that fear of loud noises!

      Delete
  2. One of the radio stations over here puts on programmes of music to calm pets around Bonfire Night. Not having pets, I've no idea if it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the calm music would help? I will certainly suggest it to Erin!

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. We had a dog that was afraid of her own shadow. She was a rescue dog too. It took us a year to get her to walk back home with us when we walked her down our road-and we always took LONG walks! So we had to carry her home! She was not a light-weight dog! We sure miss her. She spent her last years happily with us, and finally only trembled during thunder storms instead of drooling and panting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a good Thanksgiving! Definitely different, but it was fun and kept us from staying home over-indulging and bored. With Erin in Colorado and Amelia in North Carolinga, we decided to skip the big meal and get out! We stopped once and ate our sandwiches, then proceeded to continue our little day trip to Ruston and environs on the back roads. :)

      Delete
  4. LOL, love the pup with the beer! And I'm loving your book recommendations. Have you already read "Where the Crawdads Sing"? If not it's fabulous, I feel you'd really enjoy it. I can't believe how quickly your weather goes from hot scorching humid and hot to frost. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read Where the Crawdads Sing and fell in love with the author's prose! I like that pup with the beer, too, and think any solution to the distress is good. :)

      Delete
  5. So glad you enjoyed Whiskey When We're Dry! My book group liked it, as well, and one of my friends joined me to hear the author speak at our library. He shared some great stories and it was a delightful event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was a fascinating experience that put the "Old West" in a different perspective. I read a little about Larison and wish I could have heard him in person!

      Delete
  6. The German Shepard with the beer is so funny. I love the KAREN too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The German Shepherd made me laugh! He seems to have settled down and gotten snarky. :)

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!