Monday, September 07, 2020

Monday, Monday

  We  had some rain last week and the promise of cooler temperatures--yes, 93 degrees is cooler.   I've been reading,  playing upstairs making postcards, and doing a little embroidery while watching New Tricks on Hulu.

I had to get some more lab work done since my thyroid has been up and down since May--high, low, high.  New prescription each month.  While there I decided to go ahead and get my flu shot.  Another thing off the list. 

Months after filling the trunk of my car with things for Goodwill, I finally made that trip!  Now, I can put my groceries in the trunk again.  :)

Erin and the kids are going to be moving to Colorado this month.  Her new job will be with a firm specializing in family law.  I'm so happy for her...and not so happy for me.  That's so much farther away than Baton Rouge.  

Last Week's Outgoing Mail

to Hannah


to Max (Ha!  this one was supposed to go to Mila, but I wasn't paying attention)

to Mila (This is the one that should have gone to Max!)

to B.E. 

Letters from Lockdown  -- these charming illustrated letters are from artists and illustrators.   Just one example:



Now there is a contest for children to send letters about their lockdown experiences.  


Books/Reading--finished Intasar Khanani's The Theft of Sunlight yesterday, and it was as delightful as each and every one of her books have been.  This one is set in the world of Thorn, which is a retelling of the Goose Girl fairy tale.  Rae, another one of Khanani's strong female protagonists, has a club foot, but is determined to do her best in her pursuit of whoever is stealing children and selling them into slavery.  Khanani knows how to build a story and how to develop characters who have strength and resiliency.  Rae, despite her handicap, repeatedly places herself in danger to protect Princess Alyrra and to discover how the Snatchers are stealing the children and who is behind the organization.  I have only one complaint--now I must wait for the second book in this duology.  The Theft of Sunlight is a YA book, but it is one of those wonderful examples of an excellent story being enchanting  for any age.  

Garden



14 comments:

  1. Haha! I love the sock/Tupperware quote! I need to show that to my husband since he is always fussing with our Tupperware drawer. He's even go to great lengths to number the lids to corresponding containers. :)

    We enjoyed the first few seasons of New Tricks, but now we're on to Bosch. We may go back to the other later this winter when we run out of other shows to watch.

    We're planning to get our flu shots this month, too. Not that we go anywhere or see anyone! This will probably be the year that nobody catches the flu or a head cold, which is a good thing, right?

    Love those cards and the children's letters about lockdown. Good to have a positive attitude when there's not much else we can do about the situation.

    Enjoy your cooler weather. We're looking forward to warmer temps this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socks and Tupperware are the unsolved mysteries of the universe. Maybe it was on your blog that I saw about New Tricks! Yes, flu shots are an essential this year, and I hope that combined with the fact that we don't get out either will help reduce all winter illnesses as well as Covid. :)

      Delete
  2. Cool Cards! Good luck with the thyroid issues. I have them too. Love your garden pics too. Our temp might be 110 today. Kills the inspiration to do much.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the California temperatures are shocking, Carol! I can imagine that they would make you prefer to stay inside as much as possible. The fires are absolutely devastating--stay safe!

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I'm sorry your family is moving further away but just think of visiting Colorado. Granted whenever we can finally travel. I hope all goes well for them on their move. Your mail art is so fun! Fingers crossed that all your lab work will turnout ok and you get the right prescription. And, yes, we finally are in the lower 90s and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope we will be able to travel and visit eventually! Right now travel is a liability, so I worry about the move itself and getting acquainted to a new area for all of them. I do have fun with the mail art, if I can't travel, my thoughts do. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey. Hi. I haven't been here for ages! Now, here today, this post, which is perfect because even after all of these years when I consider arty postcards, I always think of you! Thank you for the lockdown and contest links. I really like your B.E. postcard and the quote~ funny.
    Stay cool (we've been super hot too) and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nancy! Nice to "see" you again. :) I think the idea of the lockdown letters is great, especially for young people. I wish someone had thought of doing something similar in the states. What a good example of recording what kids think and how they adjust while introducing them to letter writing!

      Delete
  5. I love your recent outgoing mail! I’ve done that myself...sent the wrong mail, but since it was just a designed envelope it didn’t really matter all that much. They can trade when they get the mail and then laugh at silly Grandma for mixing them up. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I used the postcard I intended for Mila and wrote Max's pun: "If Watson isn't the most famous Doctor, then Who is" on it. Not that I think they really care about which "design" they get. :) World Postcard Day is coming up, Annie! I loved the cards you made for last year's 150th anniversary!

      Delete
  6. I love this post!!! Thank you for the smile that's still on my face!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel that a good book for children or YA should be one you can come back and re-read at any age. Anything else is shortchanging the youngsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There were books I read to my children that, no matter how many times I read them, I always enjoyed. There were others where once was enough. Some books have only a one-time appeal, others last for generations.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!