Monday, September 16, 2019

Mid-September, and Still Waiting for Fall

Time to prep for the fall garden.  Except...with the temperatures in the high 90's, my efforts are short-lived.  A little in the early morning, and even then it doesn't take long to work up a sweat.  Since it looks as if September is now the "New August," maybe October is the new garden prep month.  Everything is still blooming, just suffering from heat exhaustion and lack of rain.  

 It is still too hot for most fall plants here, but I need to have the areas prepared, and I will...eventually.  I've ordered a few seeds for a different milkweed and some tiny carrots.  Hard to resist planning for next year. 


from Annie at Scribbling Glue, these beautiful plates!
Postcard from Teresa & Ricky

I'm falling a little behind in my replies because I've been creating such a mess with my Halloween stuff.

Erin was in town for a hearing today, and we had lunch at the Cotton Boll Grill.  I got my fill of purple hull peas, turnip greens, and cornbread.  She had a bacon and tomato sandwich.  We split a huge plate of peach cobbler and ice cream that was beyond delicious.


Erin will be more cautious in her enthusiasm from now on.

All of these are going to Baton Rouge.  She said she liked the Halloween bottles, and she loves Halloween.  So I made her a couple bottles and a skeleton in a cone and when I found out she would be coming today, I didn't even have to mail them!




 I made the flowers several years ago,
and I'd take them out and use real flowers,
but they work for a demonstration of a tiny bottle as vase.

I'll get around to decorating these "vases" eventually.


I have several more projects in progress right now and the studio is an unholy mess!

39 Of The Funniest Entries From The 2019 Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards



16 comments:

  1. My daughter says the earth must have wobbled in its rotation of something. :~) Our weather guy says cooler weather is on the way. I am officially ready! Sometimes it is fun just to let your imagination go, even if it does make a mess in the studio (which I doubt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your cooler weather arrives and that our area will cool down soon, too! We all need some invigorating, fresh, crisp temperatures. :)

      Delete
  2. You are having great fun with Halloween again, aren't you! And it's good to have someone else who loves it too - then when all the decoratable surfaces in your house are full, you can keep right on making ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am enjoying playing with Halloween again. And yes, it is wonderful to have daughters who can take things off my hands so I can keep playing. :)

      Delete
  3. I just don't care about the weather anymore. It's so unpredictable and off it's seasonal balance. When it gets a bit cooler I'll clean the gutters and blow the over abundance of acorns from the drive. I just love Halloween so I'm pretty sure there will be lots of decorating going on.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I actually look forward to seasonal chores...until I get tired of them. I'm eager to get to several fall chores, but not cleaning the gutters! Hopefully that won't be my look out, but I'm not always lucky in that regard.

      Delete
  4. The fabric flowers are adorable. They give a garden vibe to Halloween season. All October feels like a Halloween season instead of just the one night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, October means Halloween, not just the 31st! :)

      Delete
  5. I collect glass jars too - they are just so cute. I should probably decorate them too to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All sizes of jars for various purposes: little ones for small flowers, bigger ones for cleaning paint brushes and for holding them, some for odds and ends and ephemera, and others just in the pantry waiting for a purpose. I don't always decorate them, but when I get in the mood, they provide great canvases. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so ready for fall. I forget about the Cotton Boll for vegetables--and if there's cobbler, that would lure Ricky out. Always love seeing your Halloween decorations. Glad your girls enjoy them, too. I saw some painted plastic bottles with artificial flowers in them at a trendy furniture store in NOLA recently, and they had a ridiculous price on them. Now asking and getting are two different things, but yours are so clever, these just painted. Maybe they made their own paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that cobbler! Erin smirked, "I think there's some butter in this." So rich, so good. :) The vegetables were good, too, especially with the spice of pepper sauce.

      I have a box of books I've been saving for your Little Free Library and need to get them to you.

      Delete
  7. Love your new Halloween decor...except for the eye. That one's just too much. Hey, this is the second time I've mentioned eyes in response to blog posts. That interesting.
    As for this heat, I'm over it. I need some fall weather, though I know I'll be complaining of winter all too soon. I was hoping to travel north during October to see the changing of the leaves and cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary, I like the eye! :P I think our leaves are just going to turn brown and drop off without any color change, so I'd love to see some beautiful fall foliage and cooler weather and would gladly travel north to enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. Love the skeletons in the cones! I'm so over the heat and I feel like we'll never see cooler temps. Our garden is definitely suffering too. Love the envelope with the plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana--the skellies are fun to play dress-up with, and the cones are fun to embellish. Win/Win. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!