Tuesday, February 26, 2019

This and That

Several months ago, I was complaining about using the Kcups for coffee because I drink two cups each morning and the cups just end up in the landfill.  Teresa said she and Ricky use the attachment cup and ground coffee, avoiding the plastic trash.  I'd forgotten about that attachment cup that came with the Keurig, but didn't like it because 1) I had to take the holder out to put the attachment cup in, and 2) the grounds ended up in my morning coffee.  Even with the filters I bought, I was still not really pleased.

So...a little purple cup caught my eye in the grocery store, and it turned out to be the perfect solution.  It fits right into the holder without having to remove anything, and with the filters, I get a delicious cup of coffee each time.  :)  It may be a small effort, but 2 fewer Kcups a day beginning in November counts as something.






Incoming Mail



Outgoing





These went out last week.

I've been trying to write better letters to the grands.  It is sometimes always hard to find things to say to a fifteen-year-old and two twelve-year-olds.  Different generations, experiences, and interests make me spend more time trying to find something to write about than actually putting pen to page.

My latest attempt are showing some change.  I'm trying to write the letters in the form of a common place book--a kind of illustrated letter with lists, quotes, cartoons, a kind of catch-all of what I'm reading and thinking about, if there is a way to connect it to the kids.

In a letter to Max, I thought his interest in comics/graphic novels would make him appreciate The Umbrella Academy on Netflix, but then realized he would probably be ahead of me on that.  So I paused, how could I expand; maybe he would be interested in The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay because Chabon's book was based in part on the lives of the early writers of comics in the 1930-40's.  It was a way in.  I could talk about what I liked about the Netflix series (Five!, and Klaus and Hazel) and about  Chabon's book.  Better communication.  

Comic books to me are fairy tales for grown-ups. – Stan Lee

No more how is school, how's the tennis, how are Leo and Teddy.  Not just a few comments about what's going on here (never much that would interest him).  

Mila's interests in robotics and coding will require a little more research, but there are always questions about AI and ethics that I have and can find more on, and her interest in the environment is something I'm concerns me as well, and I do plenty of  reading about and can include articles or quotes about.  

Benefits of Robotics  and other links that I'll be looking into.

Bryce Eleanor's love of animals and especially cats means that I'm always looking for cat quotes, and as I included a quote by Nan Porter ("If cats could talk, they wouldn't"), I wondered if Edgrr could talk what he'd say.  And Bryce Eleanor's cats Lily Pad and Prim Paws would certainly have the dogs to complain about.  Then I thought of James Herriot's A Creatures Great and Small and knew she would love it.  The Herriot books remain some of my all-time favorites.

None of the letters are in typical letter format.  They have that loose and unrestricted feel of a common place book.  They were fun to write because they almost like little thought clouds rather than any kind of straight forward narrative, with little drawings and doodled boxes.
----
March is on the way!  I need to quit procrastinating about the garden.

9 comments:

  1. Tricia at Thistle Threads writes about her kids robot team when she's not writing about embroidery...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I'll check it out. Mila's school has a team and have been working on something for the competition, but I don't know much about it.

      Delete
  2. Two little plastic cups multiplied by a few billion equals a gigantic mountain. Now to get the rest of the world on board. I am quite impressed with your letter writing to the grands. What a great way to connect with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tiny step, but it makes me feel a little better; companies have to change the way they package items to really make a difference. I'm hoping that writing the grands will now be more fun for me and more interesting to them. :)

      Delete
  3. Your idea about making little books and gearing the content to the individual is so wonderful! So very thoughtful-and your work will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not books, but using some of the cut and paste and "thought clouds" or doodle boxes in the middle of the letters. But...since you mention the idea of books, I love the idea of a zine that is a letter (or vice versa)! That is a fun idea, Debra, and I think I'll use it!

      Delete
  4. That's great you found a good replacement for the kcups. I used to get coffee pods that were fully compostable (at least that's what the company claims) but my favorite ones have been on back order for months now. Your envelopes are always so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purple K-cup insert is an improvement. Our Keurig started leaking shortly after we bought it, I think Ricky fixed it but we still went back to our old coffee maker. You can tell I neglected reading my favorite blogs during Mardi Gras, so much to catch up on. Reading yours always inspires me to be more creative. Interesting insights and strategies about writing to the grands. I hear my sisters talk about trying to relate to their grandchildren, even in face-to-face conversations. My middle sister's son was explaining his children's behaviors to sister. "Mom, just remember C--is a dog, always happy to see you and is all over you." C-- sample conversation with his grandmother: "Scottie, how was your day, what was your rose and what was your thorn?!" My nephew went on to describe his daughter: "K-- is a cat, she may come rub up against you, but then she's gone if you try to hold her, sometimes she pounces, just let her be--and that means she'll hang out by herself in her room a lot." K-- herself explains it when her mother says, "K--, I don't know what has gotten into you." K--: "I do, I'm going through puberty." She has a "cat" personality AND she's going through puberty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "cat" personality/puberty comment. It is so true with Bryce Eleanor. Mila is probably more puppy/puberty in personality. I also love the rose and thorn idea about a day. There are always some thorns, whether pricks or wounds, but there are also roses. A good way to get more of a response!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!