Sunday, January 06, 2019

January and the Holiday Aftermath

Like so many others, each January evokes a need to declutter and get rid of things that tend to accumulate during the year.   Simple things--that could be done during the year, but for many reasons just don't--become a challenge, a mountain to conquer.  I never get it done completely, but it is strangely satisfying to go on the annual declutter and organize campaign.  

On The Art of Doing Stuff, Karen talks about throwing away 50 things.  I can do that in short order, I thought, and started on kitchen drawers.  Spices past expiration date, packaging, items that I have multiples of (wooden spoons, spatulas, etc.), that belong somewhere else, or that I don't even use--I put in the Goodwill box or threw them away.  It felt good and the drawers I did look much better.  

Actually, on the spices, I just threw away the contents (my trash smelled like a cafeteria with all of the spices mixed, and not in a good way) and washed the glass containers to use upstairs for beads, etc.

I have many drawers, cabinets, pantry, and my closet to go, and although I'm feeling quite pleased with myself so far, I know the desire to keep up with this will begin to fade and the habit of "stashing" rather than trashing will reassert itself.  For this week at least, 50 things a day might be do-able.  The long term goal is not to stash, but at least I am making an effort.  

Continuing to write letters to all of those that I owe mail.



These will go out tomorrow.


More efforts on the white embroidery.  Filling in more space, a little at a time.
When I get tired of the cleaning and decluttering



I saw something the other day reminding me of Sei Shonagon and her Pillow Book.  So as I go about my day I've begun categorizing things.  I've been familiar with the book for decades and have my favorites from her various categories: 

Hateful/annoying things: 

A man who has nothing in particular to recommend him discusses all sorts of subjects at random as though he knew everything.

One is telling a story about old times when someone breaks in with a little detail that he happens to know, implying that one's own version is inaccurate -- disgusting behavior!

Adorable things:  
A baby of two or so is crawling, rapidly along the ground. With his sharp eyes he catches sight of a tiny object and, picking it up with his pretty little fingers, takes it to show to a grown-up person.

She had dozens of categories.  I am not sure where my book is so I took a couple of quotes from the internet.  
---
Anyway, I'm going about my day with my own categories:

Satisfying things:
 My new socks.  So comfortable, and I like the design.
A clean drawer, so pleasing.
Finishing a letter and getting it ready for the mail.

Hateful things:
Slugs on my lettuce.  Slimy, disgusting, greedy creatures.

Annoying things:
Entering a room and forgetting why I went there.
Forgetting that I put on a load of laundry yesterday without putting stuff in the dryer.

Things that make me happy:  
Messages from Erin with pics of her sewing space.
A new book to read.

I used to add these to letters, and I think it is time to do it again.

What are some categories you might have?  (Frustrating, Anxiety Causing, Adorable, Uplifting?)

14 comments:

  1. Your embroidery work is beautiful! And, what a great idea for categorizing things in a book. I think I would need a category for worry which is right there with anxiety causing. Another category would be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Good categories! A lot of things can fit in one category on one day and another category on another day. Like mosquitoes--annoying or hateful. Things to be thankful for is definitely one to include!

      Delete
  2. After readong your blog the other day, I went through my old doilie pile. Today, one tote and part of quilt top sewed. Tossing old make up. Nail polish goes on hazardous waste bag. Spices are next!

    Category weather...Sleet, nothing good about sleet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay You! Finishing up projects is definitely a good thing! A new tote and part of a quilt top is quite an accomplishment. I haven't gotten to the makeup drawer yet, but much in there needs tossing.:) Category weather here: 70+ degrees! Pleasant, but weirdly not January weather.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, how about Praiseworthy. A child reciting prayers and responses clearly, without fear of being heard.
    Annoying things. Forgetting the next word in a sentence...which I absolutely knew when I opened my mouth.
    Painful things. Not being able to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the next word in the sentence! What ever happens to the brain to call a halt in the middle of a sentence? I hate it when that happens!

      Delete
  4. I am loving the embroidery! Of course, the old decluttering bug hits me every January too. One year, I decided I would clean at least one drawer, one shelf, one box, or one file every day of that year. Of course, I didn't make it for the entire year. Your mail always makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chip! I am using the embroidery for peaceful breaks, a few stitches here and there. I wish the declutter bug would last for an entire year, but life is so distracting. Nevertheless, you must have made a tremendous difference!

      Delete
  5. LOVE that embroidery! I had never heard about the categories book-cool idea. I'm not sure how I would arrange those things yet-will have to think on it. I am SO very glad I am not the only one that declutters, and then goes right back to replacing some of the stuff. Maybe not the exact stuff-but replacing it never the less.... I get very annoyed with myself for doing it. And to make it worse-there are amazing thrift shops around here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sei Shonagon, poet and court lady in ancient Japan,wrote the Pillow Book. She recorded her thoughts and impressions, court activities, etc. The Pillow Book is fascinating, funny, and informative about that time in Japan. I've always loved her short notes in various categories because they illustrate how little people have changed.

      Decluttering is satisfying for awhile, then I begin the process of accumulating clutter again! Especially when you are thinking about how you "might" use it in a project. :)

      Delete
  6. Many years ago I read a book about the Japanese art of space-clearing. It has stuck with to the extent that I don’t have 5 things to throw away, let alone 50. Of course we moved a few times in the past several years and I cleared out the deadwood each time. I would love to get my hands on my husband's belongings, he never throws anything away. He quit playing golf 15 years ago abd we have moved his clubs three times. He will not let me get rid of them. He still has his old CPAP machine that he hasn’t used in 20 years, in fact I think he has two of them. I could go on...

    Your white embroidery is exquisite! I have never seen anything like that before. Big WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of my own stuff to go through, but the worst is what to do about my husband's! Why did he keep this, does he still need this warranty, etc. :) When I'm not very good about organizing myself, I really don't know what to do with his! Thanks for the nice comment on the embroidery :)

      Delete
  7. Don't get so wound up in throwing things out that you forget that fabric and thread are the resources you use - an active thing, rather than something hoarded without reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started on the crafty, sewing area yet, and I will take much more time on deciding what to toss or give away. ;) When I do organize upstairs, I usually end up getting ideas for projects rather than actually getting rid of anything!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!