Friday, October 01, 2021

The Mightly Little Hummingbird and #mailart, #snailmail

We visited with Chris, Amelia, and Bryce Eleanor Tuesday night before Chris left for Georgia.  A hummingbird had flown into the window and was stunned and unmoving; hours later, it was alive, but still not moving.  That night, B.E. and Amelia tried feeding it, and finally did get it to eat a little sugar water, but it couldn't, or wouldn't, fly.  Wednesday afternoon,  B.E.  sent a text message that the tiny creature had successfully overcome the trauma and flown away!





Mail:  Finally, I'm beginning to catch up on the mail I owe!

Incoming



 

Outgoing
To Teresa & Ricky


To Hester

I still have a few letters to answer, and it is time to start thinking Halloween mail!  
The next postcards and envelopes will have some orange and black and spooky stuff.


Interesting:

Mysterious Postcards Sent to Chefs   (using old album covers)



Books/Reading: 

I'm not keeping up with reviews too well over at A Garden Carried in the Pocket, but I read and read during September.  In spite of the beginning of cooler weather, September was a month of "apathy attitude" in my world.  There are several reasons for this--it is a month that reminds me of lost loved ones, allergies make me unusually tired, the news is almost always distressing, and it all becomes a mash up of procrastination and mood swings and general torpor.  I've been coming out of it lately, but that means a lot of books still need to be reviewed.

I did review this one, and today I saw an article that made me think about it again:  Britney Spears Conservatorship Alludes to an Older Story of Controlling Women Artists.   

The article focuses on Claudine Claudel and her commitment to an asylum by her family.  It is a sad account of a woman whose rights were commandeered and who was locked away for 30 years.                                                                                                                                                                    Claudine's story  here.  

While Spears may have needed help, what she got was something entirely different, and probably entirely based on her financial benefit, not on her mental health.

The Mad Women's Ball reviewed here.  

Crafty:  little Halloween monsters





12 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that cartoon...! And beds are getting lower, too, they're going to have to do even more running!

    I'm with you on September. I've no wish to wish my life away, but best moved on from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I agree. Sometimes we have things (or days, weeks, months, or years) that we'd best move on from. I'm welcoming October!

      Delete
  2. Ah so glad the little hummingbird was able to fly away after all! And, those monsters on treadmill, that is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd expected bad news and was delighted that the little hummingbird recovered! It was a relief to know he survived the incident. And I can certainly appreciate the monsters trying to run off the weight--I just want to get in last year's pants. :)

      Delete
  3. Love your cabinet of curiosities and a wonderful vignette of monsters. Welcome October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shasta! We aren't into "break out the sweater weather" yet, but YES to OCTOBER!

      Delete
  4. I love the cartoon! I'm so happy about the hummer! They are so delicate looking, but obviously are pretty hardy. I'm sure it was thankful for all the help too. It is awesome to be able to hold a little gem like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Even monsters must have put on pandemic weight! It was wonderful to hear that the little hummingbird managed to overcome what could have been a deadly collision.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad the hummingbird story had a happy ending! Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found this comment in "moderation," and I don't know why. But yes, we were all happy the hummer survived after hours and hours of worry! They are so small, the hummers, but not fragile. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe the little hummingbird revived from its shock. I always think of them as fragile but of course they aren't, given the flight they make during their migration and their male macho territorial behavior. The Claudine Claudel story is tragic, isn't it? Interesting book review, too. I'm glad you ended the post with your Halloween beasties. I love them so much!! They make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid the hummingbird wouldn't make it because it took so long for it to recover. You are right, despite their small size, hummingbirds are anything but fragile. It seems shocking to think that women were so easily discarded and "disposed of." The Madwomen's Ball is an interesting, if fictional, account of a real event. If patriarchy weren't bad enough, the mental health experts were even more powerful. We may have come a long way, but not far enough.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!