Wednesday, July 14, 2021

This and That: more monsters, reading, gardening

More Nightmare Catcher experiments--yes, I'm feeling a little like Dr. Victor Frankenstein.  The experiments have to do with the size and shape of scraps, attempts to incorporate different items or techniques, efforts to create different personalities, etc. 




 

I've coffee and tea dyed fabric and lace, experimented with time in the dye bath, added some walnut ink to some batches, and left some fabric as is.  I've made a few more paper clay hearts to add as embellishments.  I walk upstairs with an idea, then decide on something else entirely, but they all have their backpacks stuffed with lavender buds and they do smell good!

As I mentioned when I first started making the little monsters in May, the idea came from a K drama in which a character gave a Nightmare Catcher to someone experiencing night terrors.  The little doll reminded me of Junker Jane's monster dolls, and I went upstairs and started pulling out my scrap bags and leftover items from other projects and got to work.  I had no idea just how much I would enjoy using scraps and making friendly monsters.  Some have already been gifted, and my husband suggested I could donate some to a local residence for homeless women and children.   

Give Away.  If you'd like one of the following Nightmare Catchers, mention it in a comment indicating your preference, and I'll put your name in a hat.   On Monday, June 19, I'll draw a winner.  Due to price of postage, U.S. only.  

Myrtle


Fred



Of Interest to Me:

Interesting article:  Handwriting Beats Typing and Watching Videos in Learning to Read.  I know I frequently mention the importance of cursive writing in learning, but this article connects handwriting to reading ability as well.

Link on the pleasure of receiving mail:

"There among the bills and dull life admin were things worth opening."

 

 Incoming Mail:

Postcard from Hannah


postcard from Hester




Outgoing Mail:


Reading: 
These were the best of my recent books: 
Midnight at Malabar House by Vaseem Khan
Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan
The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel

Garden:  weeding and thinking about what I'll do different next year. :)  

I was trying to clean the filter on the fountain, when the heavy rock slipped and left me dripping wet.  

Love the diplodenias, although they can't take the sun and heat as well as expected.  Six hours would probably be fine, but all day wasn't working.  I had to move four of them from hanging on the fence to areas where they can get some relief from the sun.   This one is doing much better now.

10 comments:

  1. I suppose, in this heat, at least you weren't soaked for long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dripping wet and went in to change and to laugh at myself. That darn stone weighs about 25 lbs and I usually let my husband deal with moving it to clean the filter. In the future, I will always make sure he is the fountain filter cleaner!

      Delete
  2. Your nightmare catchers are so precious! Am I in time for the giveaway? If so, throw my name in the hat for Myrtle. ♥ How are you liking The Night She Disappeared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! And I did like The Night She Disappeared. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so behind on my letter writing and I'm so sorry about that! Your nightmare monsters are adorable and I'd love to be added in the giveaway. I love the creativity and how they seem to have their own personalities. And, your garden looks so beautiful. I'm not familiar with diplodenias but they look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed a slow down in letters since people have felt more comfortable getting out more. :) After having been cooped up so long, that's understandable.

      I've had so much fun with the little monsters--when the heat/humidity get to unbearable to be outside, I go upstairs and play with fabric and thread where it's cool. :)

      Last year was the first year I discovered dipladenias and love their colorful blooms. We get more than the six hours sun recommended, so I have them in the shade in the afternoon. They take the heat well, just not so much direct sun in these temperatures.

      Delete
  4. Please put my name in your hat for dear Myrtle....Your monsters are so adorable.
    We are having rain every day here-I'm not sure how much more my plants can take without dieing off and getting moldy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I included you, Debra. There were only three names total, but Book of Secrets ended up the winner.

      Delete
  5. The dream catchers are cute, I love working with scraps of any kind that would otherwise be thrown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) There something redemptive about it!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!