Sunday, July 25, 2021

Mail

Last week, I sent out 4 packages, a book to Mila (Sophie's World) because she is interested in philosophy, a gift for Max's birthday, a package to Erin, and a package with Myrtle, The Nightmare Catcher to Diana.  They went out on July 22, and I'm waiting to hear how long they take to arrive.  

  We sent an overnight gift in June for Mila's graduation that took a week to get there.  Money was refunded for what was certainly not an overnight delivery.  I don't blame the posties, but I do blame DeJoy for  that slow down and more to come:  "another USPS service cut that could slow down delivery times for first-class mail, shorten hours at some post offices, and increase the price of a first-class stamp."

This morning I realized I had only 1 postcard stamp left.  I ordered more postcard stamps and regular stamps before the price goes up again in August.  Not that I'm against paying a bit more for stamps, but I send a lot of mail and am ready to lay in a new supply.  I have postcards and letters that need supplies right now. :)  I do hope something can be done to save the USPS.

 

Incoming Mail

postcard from Cate

letter from Hannah

Postcard from Tes (Teresa)
A train station that was still serving trains in 1966.  
She and Ricky had been 
visiting her sisters  in Virginia and ate at a farm-to-table restaurant 
owned by Barbara Kingsolver's family.
Anyone remember traveling by train?
My last train ride was when I was high school, and it was a delight.

Today, I'm writing some postcards and one letter that will (hopefully) go out tomorrow.


or dance to!

 

14 comments:

  1. I always love seeing your mail. I have ridden a train. I think I was 14 years old. I loved the experience. I have not been on a train since. I’m sure the passenger cars are waaaay more comfy these days. But I was a kid and thought nothing of wether or not the ride was comfortable. It seems I missed your giveaway of a nightmare catcher. I’m bummed about that. I would have loved a chance at one of those fabulous creations. I drink to music I like, I dance to music I like, I clean to music I like...oh wait, I don’t clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie!  I've only been on a train a couple of times, and the last time was when I was 16 or 17, which was a long, long time ago.  I remember it as being comfortable.

      :) I clean to audio books.  I can't just sit and listen, and when I don't have any hand sewing, I actually have to clean in order to keep listening.  I' tried audio books in the past without enjoying them much, but I've listened to some good ones lately and they give me an incentive to do those mundane, no-brainer chores!

      Delete
  2. Train travel is the best, a relaxing break from most of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to take a long train ride, but we no longer have any passenger trains that I know of here in Louisiana. I also love old train stations! :)

      Delete
  3. Myrtle arrived in the mail today! She's so cute, and now sitting on my nightstand. I will send you a picture soon. Thanks so much! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I worried after the fiasco with Mila's graduation gift and never knowing how long the mail will take these days, I was prepared for a much longer wait for Myrtle to arrive. :)

      Delete
  4. This is the point at which a European falls down a black hole of incomprehension - how long since you were on a train?? I've crossed countries in trains, travelled to work in them, gone shopping in them.... Now, if you were to say Trams, they're much rarer, although becoming trendy again where there is space in the town for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me get out my calculator! No, actually, I misspoke, if I wanted to go long distances--say to California or Chicago, I could drive 5-6 hours to New Orleans and ride Amtrak. But the trains that once connected small towns and cities all over the state are now only freight trains. After some research, I found that the last passenger train to Baton Rouge was in 1969. :(

      Delete
  5. Trains! Love trains. I took the commuter train to Boston every day for years. Last time was FEB 2020. Acela to NY FEB 2020 loved it a train ride any day over driving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Highways and cars have replaced the luxury of being able to sit back and enjoy the ride. I can't imagine how people in some cities endure the traffic congestion to get to work each day. How many hours could be spent reading a book on a train instead of sitting in stalled traffic?

      Delete
  6. Love that cat! I love seeing the old train stations-some of them have been turned into shops or restaurants. Such beautiful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased the architecture of so many old train stations has been preserved and that they do have new purposes! :)

      Delete
  7. The meme about cleaning to music is so accurate! I think I may have written on the postcard that the guest cottage of my nephew's where Ricky and I stayed has the handwritten chalk entry on a wall board of the last passenger train that went through my hometown in 1970. My nephew bought a house previously owned by a railroad aficionado so the bottom floor bathroom has many Pullman car artifacts in it. The main house has even more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any way we can manage cleaning works! Darn, it has been along time since we had Pullman cars and train travel. I'm glad you and Ricky had a great time in VA, Teresa!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!