Wednesday, March 10, 2021

And So It Goes

February was a slow month for mail until the end, but March is looking up.  Still haven't received Cate's letter that she mailed Feb. 19, but I'm becoming accustomed to the uncertainty and randomness of mail these days.  

Incoming


Outgoing

found where I'd stashed the scan of Carrie's postcard



postcard to Suzie


Books/Reading:  I have probably six books in progress.  The new Phillip Lopate The Golden Age of the American Essay, which I read a little at a time, and the rest are fiction.  I usually start several books and stick to the one or two that most catch my interest, finishing them before catching up on the others.  Some of them will remain unfinished if they don't really engage me after a period of time.

Two that I've recently enjoyed:
All the Murmuring Bones is Gothic and Irish Folklore mix.  Actually, after reviewing it for my other blog, I realized that it is a fairytale with a dark edge, complimented by the Gothic elements and the folklore.
Published in 1938, Address Unknown is a short story consisting of nineteen letters between business partners--Max, a Jew, in San Francisco and Martin, a gentile, who has returned to Germany.  The letters alter significantly as the situation in Germany alters under Hitler.  The letters begin in 1933.  If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can get it here.  The newest publication is coming out in June.  When I was finished, and it is a short story so it didn't take long, I sat stunned.
I started this post a week ago, and since then, I've had several more letters that I'll include in my next post.

I'm tired right now from working on fountains, pulling out vines and an invasive ground cover, emptying pots to clean before using again, adding to compost pile, etc.  It is always difficult to judge a garden at this time of year, but after the damage from the winter storm, I'm trying to see what plants will survive and what will need to be replaced.  

Time for a fresh cup of tea and a book.  And maybe a heating pad for my back.  :) 

16 comments:

  1. You are the Queen of Mail. Wonderful pieces coming and going. Yes, unpredictable delivery these days. I used to read two books at once. One at home and one that I would leave at work rather than tote it back and forth every day. But now I read one at a time. A few I don’t finish, but not many. The snow is mostly melted here now and the world looks quite ugly. I don’t ever remember it looking so forlorn before. That harsh month and half of winter weather has taken its toll on landscaping. I look forward to new growth to once again beautify our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be more accurate to say I start all these books, then stick with the one that best engages my interest. I alternate with reading nonfiction and fiction at the same time, though. Oh, the aftermath of snow is not a pretty sight, is it? But it doesn't look like winter is through with the west and midwest yet!

      Delete
  2. Now that I think of it, it's poss my letter has gone astray...bc I recycled an envie used for goodies sent to me, and your addy was above the stamp, both at top right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since your letter still hasn't arrived, I do believe it has gone astray. It may yet arrive, but who knows what adventures it might have had!

      Delete
  3. Interesting books, adding both to my reading list. Cheery postcards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that Address Unknown made a huge impression on me. So short, but what an impact.

      Delete
  4. Maybe a nice hot bath and an early night with one of those books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Aspercreme and the heating pad. They are all still in use because I keep adding insult to the injury. I thought I was taking it easy the next day, but evidently a little more digging was not recommended. Ahem, some people never learn.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see more pictures of your beautiful garden. I love your art for the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden certainly isn't beautiful at the moment! I hope to get some stuff replaced soon, and the daylilies are coming up, which is encouraging. :) The goldfinch are beginning to molt and will soon be showing their best color--they are the best thing in the garden right now!

      Delete
  6. Your mail is so much fun to look at and your postcard to Suzie is delightful. It's like a scene from a storybook! We have not started work on our garden because my husband has been busy with some other projects but hopefully next weekend we'll finally get to it. We cleared out some stuff but need to see what we want to plant soon. Looking forward to visiting your book blog to see what you've been reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana--I'm having fun with the crazy little characters and scenes! Spring seems to keep arriving earlier, and although I'm ready, the garden isn't yet. :) It is a particularly active season after that frigid weather and within such a short time, 70 and 80 degree days. Some of the shrubs that were damaged needed to be replaced anyway. What is really sad to me is the damage to the azaleas.

      Delete
  7. Address Unknown is definitely on my reading list.
    Also I love the mail. Carrie's postcard is beautiful, but I found myself looking at every little character in the one to Suzi. The robots are hilarious. And it explains why my studio is a perpetual mess if the crafts come alive and have a go at whatever they want. I love the entire scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like Address Unknown, Mary! It is short, but the twist at the end carries an impact. I'm having fun with the mail and the eccentric little creatures. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I love your art for Suzie's postcard. You look like you are having fun with it. I've just been reading about Phillip Lopate. He's prolific writer and a renowned essayist and critic himself, besides being an expert on the essay. He's done so many collections, but the one you are reading, The Golden Age of the American Essay, sounds like the most interesting one with more contemporary authors included. It's coming out in April in paperback so it would be affordable. I may look for it, although I need more books like a hole in my head, but I personally wouldn't want to read that one on my Kindle. Lopate's book that is essentially a walk around Manhattan looked interesting, but I'm sure New York has changed drastically since 2005.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa, it has been fun drawing little scenes for postcards. I'm not enjoying The Golden Age of the American Essay nearly as much as The Art of the Personal Essay. In 1994, I heard about it on an NPR book review on my way home from school, and I immediately got a copy. I've read it from front to back several times over the years and revisited certain essays even more frequently. The one about a walk around Manhattan sounds good! I might look for it.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!