Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Stitching, Snail Mail, Reading


Stitching.  I began working on a second panel for 25 Million Stitches as soon as I finished the first one. 

Silly.  I don't know why, but feeding the worms is much more amusing than feeding the cats.  Another smoothie should keep them happy for a while.  
 Sometimes I just put a Ritz cracker topped with a lettuce leaf from the garden and a banana slice because it makes me laugh at the idea of the worms feasting.

Mail.  I really like this envelope, simple and lovely.  Jacque makes the most beautiful cards and her Christmas card below is one of my favorites.  She and her granddaughter visit nursing homes and deliver cards for them to mail to friends and family and cookies for them to enjoy.  Although she and Zoe do this all year, it is a wonderful example of seasonal spirit during December.


I love the stamp on Hannah's letter!

I'm so behind on my own mail.  I've been spending all my spare time stitching.

Wrapping.  To avoid adding excess wrapping paper for the trash pile, I've made fabric bags for gifts for several years and purchased half price fabric bags from Michael's when I could.  They can be re-used, so they are better for the environment.  

I've used Christmas themed fabric from my stash (which has gotten pretty low since I haven't purchased Christmas fabric for years) to make bags, but I have plenty of other fabric to use.  This year, instead of making bags, I plan to use the Japanese Furoshiki method--much simpler and quicker.  The link shows several different variations for different items.  

Advantages:  
1.  Nothing to purchase, I already have what's needed.  
2.  The fabric can be reused, for wrapping or for other purposes.
3.  For fabric lovers, quilters, crafters-- the wrapping is more fabric to play with.
4.  Clearing out my fabric stash.
5.  I can also use plain, inexpensive muslin and use stamps for decoration.
Source:  Furoshiki:  The Art of Japanese Fabric Wrapping

Reading.  I've been reading The Splendid and the Vile:  A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Eric Larson.  I usually read nonfiction a little at a time and  alternate with a fiction read at the same time.  Hasn't been possible with this one; I can hardly put it down and am eager to pick it up again.  Absolutely fascinating!

Inspiring.  I continue to search for uplifting news to counteract all the negative news.  It seems important to realize what is being done in positive ways to keep me in a happy mood.  As a gardner, I especially loved this:   In the UK, a project to plant millions of wildflowers to help save bees.  Beautiful flowers and a way to attract bees and butterflies--a good thing!



10 comments:

  1. I've made fabric bags too, but I didn't get them back. The wrapping is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get mine back, either. But they do get used again, just not for me. :) The wrapping is much less time consuming!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the wrapping technique, a great fabric stash reducer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stash can really use some reducing. :) And I have all sizes of fabric that I've saved that will be perfect for small gifts. I think it will be more fun than usual, picking out fabrics to use.

      Delete
  3. For years I have used the Sunday Funnies to wrap children's gifts. This year I used the brown paper some shippers have used to wad in boxes. I iron it, roll it, then save if I need to create templates. I also made drawstring back packs and placed a gift inside. I am feeling very happy with myself this Christmas season, lol.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Carol! I love brown paper and using the packaging from something else is a bonus! There is something satisfying about reusing something that could easily be thrown away. Keeping the stress out and the happy in--the best way to celebrate!

      Delete
  4. I am getting some really great ideas here. I have been saving paper for awhile. There's something satisfying about ironing paper. Of course, I am loving your Millions of Stitches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something satisfying about ironing paper, isn't there? When I tea/coffee dye paper, I iron it flat, and I often have to iron postcards that I've painted. It is also interesting that using wadded or crumbled paper in packaging is better than bubble wrap, so kudos to the companies that try to avoid more plastic waste.

      Delete
  5. You seem to be into snail mail. I am too. Perhaps you'd like another pen friend. Me. CarolAnn McCarthy 204 East Streetsboro Street, Hudson Ohio, 44236. You visited my blog post about letter writing in coffee shops. You are just the kind of creative person I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy snail mail, and I'm in the midst of writing Christmas mail--which is fun because it is so cold outside and staying in with a cup of coffee or tea is a cozy feeling. Although I don't do my letter writing in coffee shops, I love that coffee shops (and pubs!) have made letter writers welcome. It would be fun to take part in a letter writing event in a coffee shop, but there don't seem to be any locally. I will be sending you something this week, CarolAnn, I'm thrilled to have another correspondent. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!