Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Hand Stitching, Slow Stitching, Moodling, Meditative Stitching

Every so often, the benefits of hand stitching come to the fore again.  All of us who do hand stitching are aware of the peaceful effects of sitting quietly, making stitch after stitch, but it is good to be reminded of the benefits and to help others become aware of the satisfaction and comfort that hand stitching can provide. 

Years ago, I found this quote,  "imagination needs moodling--long inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering."  The quote was originally from a book written in the 1930's by Brenda Ueland:  If You Want to Write:  A Book about Art, Independence & Spirit, but I found the quote in 2007 at Me & My Quilts where Julie used it for the kind of hand stitching she enjoys.  I've used the term many times since then to describe my use of stitching.
  
 example of my moodling with text on muslin
I've done a lot of playing with text  

Hand stitching doesn't have to be "happy idling"--quilters who hand quilt have a useful purpose for all of those tiny stitches and embroiders are often as concerned about the beauty of their finished pieces as they are about the process involved.  Whether for "happy idling" or for a purposeful piece of work, hand stitching does have a relaxing effect.

The benefits of this kind of activity (which, I think, includes knitting, crocheting, tatting, etc.) involve a slowing down, an opportunity for pondering, a time away from the business of our lives. 

Recently, I've come across two more advocates of hand stitching/sewing:  

The Calming Effects of Sewing Can Help People Express and Heal Themselves  

 "Sewing is increasingly becoming recognised as an effective way to combat depression, the absorption demanded by needlework – its flow – calming the mind and reducing stress. The sense of accomplishment can boost mental health and improve our immune system, as relief from the pressure of multitasking is replaced by focussing on one thing. " (via the above linked article from The Guardian)

Hand Stitching Monday--Stitch Meditations over at Lyn Krawczyk's blog, which discusses Liz Kettle's process of Stitch Meditations and includes an interesting video of how Liz Kettle uses her hand stitching as a daily meditation.  

Liz Kettle also has a Facebook group--Stitched Meditations.

-----------Happy Things--------------
*We took a little road trip to see Erin and the grands this past weekend. 
 I adore Erin's sewing nook which is so much better organized than mine!  
We ate delicious food and enjoyed visiting with Erin, Max, and Mila.  

*A visit from friends from Colorado--who brought these!  
 I smile each time I glance at them  :)

*The cedar waxwings have arrived 
and are covering the holly tree in our neighbors yard!   
I wait for them each year; they fascinate me.

6 comments:

  1. It's true that getting into flow is good for the headspace, but it's also the case that some work needs focus before you can get into flow. In such cases, something mindless and repetitive but usefully productive is what is needed (hand quilting, or following a knitting or crochet pattern...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And aside from the work, there is always the benefit of a peaceful interlude with nothing but the next stitch to focus on. :)

      Delete
  2. The Ueland quote is almost as beautiful as your flowers. "Moodling" is a wonderful word for expressing what we do. I have been doing more slow-stitching recently and have found it helpful for combating my depression. Thanks for the reminder that hand-work is one way to decompress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow stitching does help combat depression and anxiety. As you mention, hand-work of all kinds helps with decompression, and we all need decompression these days from a myriad of major and minor upsets!

      Delete
  3. I've always loved Brenda Ureland's little book on writing, and what a great quote. Pretty flowers. Patty was impressing even herself with her flower arranging this trip. She put together a big beautiful bouquet for Muriel's memorial service and grave site. I have my mother's old Singer sewing machine from the 1950's. At one point Ricky had it tuned up and it worked but I haven't had a place to use it for years. Now I will! We are glassing in the upstairs sleeping porch for my hobby room. A place to moodle!! I often drink my morning coffee in the plant room downstairs (another enclosed porch) and two times this spring I've seen a flock of Cedar Waxwings come through. They don't linger, though. "Get in, get the berries, and get gone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother made all my clothes on the Singer Featherweight that my father gave her in 1948. He promised her anything she wanted if their first child was a girl. :) Amelia has it now. With your new hobby room, you should have a wonderful place to moodle--to read, write, or sew.

      The waxwings came in smaller groups this year, making several forays until all the berries were gone. They are a treat that I watch for each year as they swirl in and out and back and forth between the nearest holly to another one a street away. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!