Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Crafty Archaeology--Rediscovering Projects

During my recent clean and reorganize, I found a number of projects that had been put away unfinished for one reason or another.  

I found the embroidered doll body, I worked on when I was in need of just the pleasure of stitching.  When I made the long body about three years ago, I had something in mind, but never completed the doll.  I found the body worked as a nice canvas to keep me busy that year while doing some binge watching of some television series.  

In another storage box, I found several incomplete heads, but they were all too heavy for the body.  Then there was a gourd; about the right size, nice and light, with a pleasant rattle of seeds inside.  :)  

After looking at the other re-discovered stuff, I decided to go with the gourd.  I painted it white and grunged it up a bit, found a piece of dowel in my stash for a neck, and was ready to give it a simple pumpkin face.  I'm really going to finish this incomplete eccentric character this time.

The odd batch of heads below may get some work when I finish the above.  I'm thinking the stuffed head I painted black may make a Halloween cat.  I'm also thinking that most of these will go back in the UFO box for a while.
I reorganized and labeled drawers, and still lost a few things that took some time to find.  I thought I must have thrown away an envelope flip book project that I'd been working on, but it turned up later.  Don't know what happened to my score tape, still looking for that.
The idea of the labels was to be able to find things I moved,
 but it hasn't been a perfect solution.  :\
Still spending time getting accustomed to the new system...

Are you in the mood for fall?  
It may not arrive here until November, but I'm OK with pretending.



8 comments:

  1. I keep on losing things too. And then they turn up, and I wonder what on earth possessed me to put them _there_...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I assume I wasn't really thinking, just getting things out of the way. Admitting to stuffing things in drawers if someone is coming over. That kind of behavior often comes back to bite me. :o

      Delete
  2. Labeling is a must for me, otherwise I would spend all of my time looking... I love the doll body stitching! She will be one very special doll. You also have some nice doll heads just waiting to become real live dolls! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm still having a little trouble adjusting to all of the rearrangement, reaching for the wrong drawer before realizing I've moved things. The stitching on the doll body provided many peaceful hours. Thanks for your kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh. I just went through that when I had to put a new air unit in my "room". I labeled too...not well enough. Terry wanted E6000. Nope not in THAT drawer anymore. Not listed on a label either. I did find it and won't lose it again, lol. I miss seeing the dolls you create. Halloween is coming up soon so your new head will make something wonderful.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be confusing at first, but assuming I stick with the new arrangement and don't get in a hurry and put things in the wrong place, I think it will be more efficient. And I'm not sure where my E6000 is either!

      Delete
  4. Okay, so I love the tags and all the bits and bobs and whatever. BUT (and it's your fault for giving me permission with that minion quote but feel free to tell me to get lost) I had a fabulous idea for all those heads. It's a freebie: line them up on a platform of sorts for a wicked Halloween "off with their heads" parody. I know, I've definitely overstepped my bounds but I can't help it--the voices are screaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Since I doubt that I will get around to making bodies for these heads, I may do just that Mary! Wonder if I can create a guillotine?

      Delete

Good to hear from you!