Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sunday Thoughts

In the midst of one of the hottest summers on record, most folks have retreated to whatever cool sanctuaries they can find.  I try to stay out of the heat as much as possible, but spend a lot of time dreaming about cool, crisp weather.  Which we may get by November....  

Mail

Incoming  




Outgoing Mail


Reading

As a lover of both poetry and letters, I found this article fascinating:  The Nun Who Wrote Letters to the Greatest Poets of Her Generation.

In addition to her correspondence with Stevens, Sister Bernetta exchanged letters with Denise Levertov, William Carlos Williams, Robert Penn Warren, James Wright, Seamus Heaney, and others. She read their work with skilled attention, and they responded to her with sincerity and gratitude.

Sister Bernetta wrote to some of my favorite poets, and I would love to see some of this correspondence in full.  What a lovely legacy to leave behind from both nun and poets.

I have three books in progress right now:  Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose, Kate Atkinson's Transcription, and Val McDermid's Broken Ground.  

--------

What are you doing to beat the heat?

12 comments:

  1. Angle of Repose -- my fave novel ever! Hope you're enjoying it. I've read most of Stegner's work. Another good novel of his is Crossing to Safety. But Angle is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM enjoying it! Switching back and forth between the three books according to mood. :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful mail Jen! Happy mail boxes for sure. Fabulous reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping busy with anything that is inside right now. But at least we got rain some rain shortly after I wrote the above which cooled things down a little!

      Delete
  3. Hibernating!
    It's always cheering to see Pooh and Piglet, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know England has been a part of the terrible heat wave, so hibernating sounds like a good plan, Rachel!

      Delete
  4. Everyone has the heat wave. I'm working in the garden if it's not raining for only about an hour and a half, grab a shower then stay in the air. I think I'll be working on my jacket again. I want to wear it this fall so how far I get is where I will stop.
    Stay Cool
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do some weeding early, but this time of year, I have to hope things will take care of themselves. We are now having a little cool spell after a rain, and I'm taking advantage of it! Who knows what August has in store...I need to get some clean up done while it is 88 degrees. :)

      Delete
  5. Hate to gloat about the weather here, but we've had lots of rain and it's perfectly cool...but that can change very fast! Love that piece about the nun-fascinating. I may have told you before that I have love letters my great-grandparents wrote to each other before they were married-before 1900. The paper is thick and has not degraded at all. I love it that my family has kept those things, including diaries and art work. All those stories of day to day living-it's what makes us who we are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting rain! Lovely, lovely rain! I'm so glad you have such a wonderful written history for your family, Debra. What a wonderful treasure for their descendants. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sure it's fun to find lovely mail in the box without leaving your house. I have to make one step onto the front porch in the heat to retrieve the mail. I was thankful yesterday was a bit cooler--the AC at the gym where I do TRX got knocked out by the storm we had with so much wind--yet she persisted (our instructor). She is tough and so are we. We had fans, wet down towels to help us recover on breaks, and drank plenty of water. No excuses. I've been writing more and crafting less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love the "slot in the door" mail receptacles and watching the videos of cats who wait for the mail, but the trip out to the street to get the mail has its own advantage. I learn to appreciate AC each day. You are a trooper to exercise when the power is out!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!