Tuesday, May 01, 2018

So long, April...

 You have been a month filled with letters, poetry, and gardening.  National Letter Writing Month and National Poetry Month have concluded, but letters and poetry will continue being written by folks who love to write and receive letters and by poets who, thank heavens, spill their words onto paper.  

Gardening will continue as well--for a while at least around here.  It was 85 degrees (29.444 C) yesterday (plus humidity which makes it feel even hotter), and I was a hot sweaty mess early.  May will be reaching even higher temperatures and higher humidity, and enthusiasm for any real outdoor labor will begin to wane.

Last of incoming April mail from Jacque!
I love all the little envelopes.  They are hard
to see in this pic, but are such fun to open.  :)

Last of April's Outgoing Mail

I wanted to try a tessellation and looked at Pinterest for some tutorials.  One took me to a Youtube video, which I tried: 

I made my square, cut into two sides, moved and pasted the pieces, and came up with a template I used on the envelope below.

The first creature I "saw" looked a little like a friendly dinosaur.

back of envelope
I turned the template I made in another direction 
and"saw" another creature hiding in the greenery.  
Turned it again and saw a creature with horns.
Same template, three versions.

I'm going to play with these some more.  There are plenty of Pinterest and Youtube tutorials about different kinds of tesselations.

to TES 

My desk at various stages last month


watercolor sheet with drawing and stamping

after cutting out all the little drawings,
I draw on some of the scraps

Then I send the cut out pieces through my little Xyron sticker maker--
finally having replaced the cartridge after nearly two years .
Saves my fingers from some of the sticky glue stick messes.

 Read and reviewed or scheduled on A Garden Carried in the Pocket


10 comments:

  1. I love your little creatures-they make me smile. I also recognized a Pioneer Woman cup on your table....
    We are just coming out of very cold weather for a very LONG time...It actually snowed Sunday. So the temps are at 70 degrees right now-it feels like the tropics. Not so sure I'd want your hot & humid stuff though....:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't want the hot and humid, especially what will come during the summer, but then I don't want snow in April! We need a place somewhere in between. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your little tessallation critters - Escher would be most impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tessellation experiment was interesting. I really had no idea that tessellations start with a square or a triangle and that geometry teachers love them. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the card, LOVE the excerpt from Auden's "Night Mail!" Had cataract surgery today, so vision is not my strong suit tonight. :-)) I'll have to look into tessellations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped it would get there on Monday before your surgery. I know it must be frustrating to have blurry vision, but it is wonderful that surgery can take care of cataracts. When will they do the other eye?

      Auden wrote "Night Mail" for a documentary in 1936 about the mail train from London to Scotland and is such a charming look at the way mail connected people in an age before email and text messages.

      One of my favorite Auden poems is "September 1, 1939"--although Auden ended up intensely disliking the poem and tried to keep it out of anthologies. His "low, dishonest decade" seems so appropriate now, and I wonder why he came to dislike it so much.

      Delete
  4. I love the original stickers you made. I used a couple in one of my journals recently! Love seeing the different stages of your desk throughout the month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I have enjoyed playing with these little cartoon characters! There is a letter on the way to you--I love the marbled papers you sent!

      Delete
  5. Can’t wait to see what creativity springs forth from your fertile mind in May! And your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always hurry up and wait on the garden.I want instant gratification and can't understand why I'm denied. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!