Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Month of Letters Challenge

Since renewing my interest in letter writing, I've found so many wonderful blogs and sites about mail history, mail art, and the art of writing letters.  Inspiration is all over the web.  Yesterday, I discovered A Month of Letters and have, with great trepidation, decided to give it a go.   


The Challenge

I have a simple challenge for you.
  1. In the month of February, mail at least one item through the post every day it runs. Write a postcard, a letter, send a picture, or a cutting from a newspaper, or a fabric swatch.
  2. Write back to everyone who writes to you. This can count as one of your mailed items.
All you are committing to is to mail 23 items. Why 23? There are four Sundays and one US holiday. In fact, you might send more than 23 items. You might develop a correspondence that extends beyond the month.
Write love letters, thank yous, or simply notes to say that you miss an old friend. Send a fabric swatch from your new dress. A feather you picked up while on a walk. Whatever it is, let yourself step away from the urgency of modern life and think about an audience of one. Think of it as sending 23 little gifts. And, who knows, you might enjoy going to the mail box again.
Feeling intimidated? It’s fewer words than NaNoWriMo and I know how many of you do that. Join me in The Month of Letters Challenge.
Sincerely yours,
MRK signature  

  I am not at all certain that I will succeed, and immediately after signing up--panic set in.   I've been mailing several letters a week, but one a day?  OK--I could sent a lot of valentines, starting on Feb. 1.  That would help, but that only takes care of the first of the month.

I'm going to ask for help.  Send me your address, and sometime in February, I will send you something in the mail.  At least one item in the mail each day (with the exception of Sundays and Presidents Day) is quite the test of my determination, but writing to one of you would make it easier because I know you through your blogs.  

And maybe one of you will take up the challenge, visit A Month of Letters, and begin writing letters to friends, family, fellow bloggers, or even strangers.  

Even if I don't meet my goal of a letter a day, I'm looking forward to trying.  

 We treasure those permanent artifacts, those bundles of letters found in shoe boxes or attics and seized upon with delight.  Letters our parents exchanged, or those of our grandparents, or the letters of people we admire--how exciting to read them and get a personal glimpse at another time or place. 

Most people today seldom have time to write letters that will be placed in the mailbox, handled by postal workers, canceled, and delivered to someone else's mail or post office box.  
A Month of Letters offers an excuse!  

I'm always good with excuses!             

6 comments:

  1. Jeeze...I'm panicking just thinking about doing that! I couldn't do it. It would end up feeling too impersonal for me. It takes me days to put together even just a little note, because it has to convey that I spent time thinking about the person and creating a piece of joyful mail for them. Good luck with your challenge and most importantly, have fun! You can send me something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I doubt I will succeed, Annie, but I'm going to give it a try! I've been working on some postcards to use since even a note on a postcard counts. Instead of sending two or three items on one day, I'm going to try to spread them out. The grands are a great excuse for sending a valentine-a-day for several days. My stuff will never be as elaborate and well-thought out as yours, but this will be a great way to experiment with ideas. I'm curious to see how many days I'll manage!

      Delete
  2. Send me an email and I will let you have my address - if overseas will count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, it counts! Thanks, Rachel!

      Delete
  3. Yesterday I read a blog post of a new friend that talked about random acts of mail...it was not what I thought it would be, but it got me started thinking about sending RANDOM mail..first thought in my mind was Veterans or nursing homes...an idea is perculating.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my 3rd attempt to reply! What Up, Blogger?

      I think that's a great idea, Carol. Folks in nursing homes or assisted living would probably love getting mail. After all, they came from a letter writing era. Let me know how your idea progresses, I might want to give it a try! And thanks for sending your addy!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!