Friday, March 28, 2014

Fairy Tales, Medieval Mysteries, and Hearts


It is once again time for Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge:

  Friday, March 21st begins the eighth annual Once Upon a Time Challenge. This is a reading and viewing event that encompasses four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including the seemingly countless sub-genres and blending of genres that fall within this spectrum. The challenge continues through June 21st and allows for very minor (1 book only) participation as well as more immersion depending on your reading/viewing whims.

I've already read my first book for this challenge:  Snow in Summer by Jane Yolen.  The book is a retelling of the Snow White fairy tale, but set in Appalachia in the 1940's.  My review is scheduled for Sunday on my book blog. 


So...fairy tales, folklore, fantasy, and myth --  a reading itinerary.


 The only other circumscribed reading itinerary at the moment involves medieval mysteries.  I love mysteries and decided to do some concentrated reading of medieval mysteries.  It has been a pleasant and rewarding adventure so far as I wander through the 11th - 14th centuries.  If you are interested in some authors or titles in this sub genre search medieval mysteries at A Garden Carried in the Pocket.



A few more scrappy hearts and houses.












Have a great weekend!

Oh, and if you have authors or titles to recommend in either the 
fairy tale or medieval mystery category,
please share!



3 comments:

  1. I don't really care for fantasy, yet we have a slew of Jane Yolen's books on the library shelves. Some of the most voracious readers are my fantasy readers.

    Those little hearts and houses are so cute. They would make great little gifts--stocking stuffers and gift embellishments come to mind but I'm betting you've got much greater ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only medieval mysteries I can think of are the John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements. Those books are pretty good. I will watch out for your review of Snow in Summer, I've recently developed a thing for retellings, and this one sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - :) I'm quite fond of fantasy and fairy tales. Never grew out of the desire for magic.

    Thanks, the hearts and houses are such a convenient way to use scraps that are too small for much of anything else!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!