Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Home Again

We had a wonderful trip--relaxing and fun.  We stopped at Natchitoches on the way down, and I got a hot, spicy Natchitoches meat pie and a yam loaf.  I've never had a yam loaf before, but it was delicious...much better than pumpkin bread.


The weather was perfect, and we enjoyed looking at the little towns that interstate has long forgotten.

In Breaux Bridge we visited a couple of antique shops.  The pictures aren't very good, but the little sewing machines were so cute and so was the side by side bicycle.

 I bought a few more linens at one shop.  The price on linens varied wildly, but these were real bargains;  the little tea napkins were 1.79 each.  I love the 18" strip of tatting I found in one shop.  The large linen napkins with embroidery and battenburg lace were in great condition and were only about $2 a piece.

As we meandered through the towns along Bayou Teche, we enjoyed the many beautiful live oaks of such tremendous size and age.  One stretch of road somewhere around Jeannerette (Iberia Parish)  had huge oaks lining the road on either side forming a canopy over head for at least a mile!  It was like the entrance to plantation homes, but these oaks had been planted to line the road--for anyone to enjoy.

We spent the night in Morgan City, where the first Tarzan movie was filmed in 1917!  Who'd a thought?

A couple from Baton Rouge are filming a documentary about Edgar Rice Burroughs and the first Tarzan movie.



We headed out to New Orleans on Friday morning.   After checking in to the Montleone, we called Suzie and met up with her for lunch.
 Fee and Suzie in the lower left corner.
We talked all afternoon, at lunch, seeing the sights, over drinks, etc.  Bobby was at their
river house, so we didn't get to see him, but our visit with Suzie was great.  Friends since junior high school and college roommates, Suzie and I have a long history.  Oh, the tales from our college years when Suzie instigated and organized, and I went along for the ride!
Saturday morning, we strolled around the French Quarter before leaving for Baton Rouge.  Again, the weather couldn't have been better.  I liked the art quilt in the window of one shop of Mr. Mose.
The purses above were art pieces, delicious concoctions of color and whimsey.

Then we headed to Baton Rouge.  I didn't get any pictures of the kids in the hotel pool, but the water was still a little cold, so they didn't stay in long.  Erin, Fee, and I lounged around the pool enjoying the beautiful afternoon, but swimming wasn't that much fun.

Sunday morning, Eric and Katarina stage an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids, early, so Fee and I could get back on the road.  

I had my good camera, but never used it.  Used the little point and shoot, so convenient.  Instead of lugging around the good camera, the p & s slipped into the pocket of my purse.

It was a great trip!  I spend Monday alternately recuperating, doing laundry, and reading.  Today, I think I'm back on my game.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Great pictorial, Jenclair! I just love NOLA. We stayed at the Monteleone last year. Now that festival is coming soon I wish we were there NOW! But we'll be there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home Jenclair! I just got home yesterday from our Easter trip up North. It was cold up there and windy! I'm glad to be back in NC. Now packing for the move this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rian - This was such a great visit because the weather was so perfect. New Orleans can be so hot and humid, but this time it was cool and breezy. I hope festival weather this year is as pleasant as our weekend. Maybe I'll see you there next year!

    Sherri - Oh, that's right, you have to move to an apt. while your house is being built! Full week ahead of you, Sherri!

    Nancy - Thanks, Nancy. It is good to be home, but we had a great time on our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great trip. I love those little sewing machines and those great linens. Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephie - The little sewing machines were in a glass case, so the pics aren't that good. Breaux Bridge had lots of interesting antique malls and shops, and we had fun looking.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!