Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pulp Fiction (Wow, second post of the day)

When I started The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont today (have already written about it here), I immediately thought of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Since most of the names mentioned in The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril were real people, however, it was just the similarity of the times and the context that made me think of The Amazing Adventures as Joe Kavalier and Sammy Clay are the fictitious inventions of Michael Chabon. However, Joe Kavalier has just made an entrance in Malmont's novel...and I love that. A novel about pulp fiction that includes both the real writers of pulp fiction and fictitious writers of comic books, and that becomes a more sophisticated form of pulp fiction.

2 comments:

  1. I love The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I am starting to read it again because all of the Superman hype has made me think of it. Chabon spent some time in my home town, so I feel kind of connected to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we really are in need of genuine heroes again. The kind with a clear-cut idea of good and evil. The comic book and pulp fictions heroes had no difficulty recognizing right from wrong, and in our world, things have become so complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!