Friday, October 11, 2019

October Is Flying By


First Halloween Mail--postcards

to Hannah

 to Max

to Mila (another one inspired by Jacki Long's faces/collage

to Bryce Eleanor

to Carla

to Ricky & Teresa

 I'm waiting for my new Halloween stamps to arrive.  



Here are the First Day Covers 
Books/Reading

I'm a sucker for children's books.  So many have such gorgeous or funny illustrations that are difficult to resist.  They make great gifts for children or adults and some of the illustrations are worthy of frames.  I just posted about some wonderful new purchases of children's books on my book blog.  If you are looking for gifts for the youngsters in your life (or for those who remain kids at heart) check it out.

Recently finished:   The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl by Theodora Goss, the conclusion of the trilogy that began with The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter.  

This trilogy works perfectly with October.  A mash-up of classic literary from favorite mystery/supernatural books like Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Rappacini's Daughter and Sherlock Holmes.  




Almost finished:  Strangers at the Gate by Catriona McPherson.  Suspenseful and twisty.   










12 comments:

  1. What fun you must be having with Halloween! My favorite may be the face collage. October is going by way to fast, but it always does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie Long does these face collages (and much better!), but I like making them, too!

      Delete
  2. I like the one to Mila. That's a different but fun witch.
    I'm engaged with Doctor Zhivago. It's not an easy read but getting better with every page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been inspired by Jackie Long's faces before, but I really enjoyed making a witchy one! I loved Doctor Zhivago--the book and the film. Glad you are enjoying it, Mary. :)

      Delete
  3. I’ll bet your mail recipients are over the moon with your Halloween mail. It is all fun! Too hard to choose a favorite but I love the one to Max with the “troublesome endings”...hahaha...you think? That one cracks me up. And Bryce Eleanor’s with the tickets that I’m sure are to enter into a fun haunted night. Aren’t those new Halloween postage’s stamps awesome?! I already had the Jack-O-Lanterns for this year but I’ll have those silhouettes for next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any pumpkins left from last year and used vintage Halloween stamps for the postcards. I pre-ordered 2 sets of the new silhouette stamps so I'll have some for this year and next year, but need to look for some more of the vintage ones. I have some Sleepy Hollow and Classic Movie Monsters left, but not many. And the Poe stamps are great for Halloween, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay, a card!! Where do you get the various stamps? Are they just decoration, or do some of them have value? I'm really quite ignorant. I need to look up Jackie Long, I love the faces you say are inspired by her. I'm loving the cooler weather, soon I will get into baking and such!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered postage from several places including Etsy, Mystic Stamps, Vintage Postage, and even Amazon. They cost a little more than their original price. They aren't terribly rare, just not widely available. Since they still function as postage, they are both useful and fun. :)

      I wonder why the USPS didn't make the new Silhouette stamps available sooner. It is Oct. 14, and I still haven't gotten mine!

      Delete
  5. That Maxine cartoon - haha! I didn't even realize there were Halloween stamps. Those are awesome and would be so perfect for all of your mail art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out of the pumpkin stamps, and I love the new ones!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!