Thursday, March 05, 2020

Yesterday, I sat on the back porch reading and watching the birds feeding in the rain. All of a sudden there was a whoosh and mourning doves, finches, and sparrows  all took off at once.  I looked around to see what had startled them and saw this Cooper's (?) hawk settle on the fence.


I waited for him to fly away, but after about five minutes, I realized the rain didn't bother him and he was in no hurry to leave.  I looked at the time and decided to wait and see what happened next.  I kept reading and glancing up at the fence for the next 20 minutes.  All he did was turn his head back and forth, scanning for prey I guess, even though his presence had scattered all small things, including squirrels, from the area.

A week or so ago, flocks of cedar waxwings swooped back and forth in our neighborhood looking for holly trees.  Our neighbor has a large holly that was full of bright red berries, and the cedar waxwings descended.  In short order, all the red berries at the top of the tree were gone.  

Here is part of one flock waiting in our crab-apple tree for their turn on the holly.

despite so may overcast and rainy days, 
The Carolina Jasmine offer a bright contrast to dreary skies
that have been the norm lately.

Today, sunshine!
 The other lettuce bolted about 6 weeks ago, but this one just keeps producing.  The kale, green onions, and lettuce have kept me in fresh salad material since November.  
 Because the lettuce was doing so well, I gave in and got another salad spinner.  Years ago, I had one and liked it.  Avoiding the plastic ones, I decided on the OXO steel spinner.  It is large enough to accommodate the largesse of lettuce and kale and makes washing produce quicker and easier.  The amazing thing is how crisp it keeps the lettuce.  The only drawback is that it takes up a lot of room in the fridge.  As much as I love my salads, I can put up with it sacrificing a little room in the fridge.  

Taking a break from the decisions involved in  cleaning and organizing my studio space, I cut several different sizes for more gift bags.  I donated a lot of fabric to GoodWill, but kepts some pieces that were large enough for gift bags, and I got started.
 For really large items, I'm making some bags out of dish cloths I bought on sale and tucked away with using.


While cleaning out drawers, I found some tea bags in my stash of miscellaneous items and made some lavender sachets.  I may make some from muslin as well.  

Incoming Mail


Outgoing Mail




11 comments:

  1. My goodness, that hawk is a big fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was impressive in size and attitude! He was so patient, but none of the other birds wanted his attention and stayed away and quiet.

      Delete
  2. What a nice treat to have the hawk drop in for your enjoyment. I would think it a bit unusual for one to hang within a neighborhood. I usually only see them fence sitting in the countryside. Your garden looks gorgeous! Mail! Mail is the best isn’t it! I hate our no mail days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly surprised! He was beautiful and watching him was a pleasure. Not that I want him to be a frequent visitor and keep frightening the other birds. If he shows up again, the feeders for the other birds may have to come down for a while, but I appreciated the opportunity to watch him.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how different your climate is from ours. Most of our snow is gone, but it's still in the 40's. Gardening here is a ways off yet! That salad spinner sounds perfect-think I'll get one. Your hawk is beautiful-you got some good shots of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had no real winter this year, Debra. It is scary. Who knows how this will affect plants in the long run. Or insects, for that matter. And I already dread summer--which will no doubt be early as well and last even longer than in 2019. The hawk was a beautiful surprise. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm always thrilled to have a visit from my resident hawk. I believe Cooper Hawk have a yellow eye. The only way I can tell them from a Sharp Shinned that also visits.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at both the Cooper and Sharp Shinned and the immature versions looked so similar. I couldn't tell about the eyes, but will keep that in mind if we get another visit!

      Delete
  5. A hawk has been visiting our backyard too. All the raptors are magnificent and I admire them greatly. However, last year, after having witnessed our resident hawk take one of the beautiful cardinals, I took the feeders down. I know the hawks are only trying to make a living, but I don't want to make it too easy for them. This year, I did some rearranging so the feeders are more enclosed within the garden. At least now the hawk has to be careful not to run head on into a tree, fence or the Shanty. It has helped and I haven't seen feathers on the ground. I am a bit envious of your fresh salads this winter. And, I will definitely check out the salad spinners since, I too, eat so many salads. I love the Laying Mash Feed bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawks are beautiful predators. I've been watching today to see if he returns and will force me to take the feeders down for a while. Losing a cardinal or any of the smaller birds would be upsetting, and I hope to avoid that. Last year the cold eventually got the lettuce, but not this year. The seasons are changing and rapidly.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful bird! How nice that he made a stop in your garden! Speaking of, your garden is looking great. I'm hoping we have some nice flowers this spring. Anything to bring some color and beauty during these difficult times. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!