Wednesday, January 08, 2020

First Week in the New Year


25 Million Stitches Project.  Panel 2. I think I'm finished with this panel.  Time to get it in the mail.

I enjoyed working on both panels while making my way through some Netflix shows and listening to podcasts.  Often, however, I would sit down to stitch and simply let my thoughts take me where they would, in silence.  Both panels are typical of the way I stitch, improvising on patterns, threads, and stitches as I go, but I loved finding the quote for this panel to give me a more thoughtful beginning.

It also pleased me to include a series of French knots that (hopefully) spell out "refuge" in braille and some knots and dashes that say the same thing in Morse Code.  I checked different sites to get the two alphabets, but don't know if they are truly readable.  

The next panel, the long one, will be more challenging.  A few thought are beginning to float through my head:  heavier thread or 6 strands of floss and larger stitches.  :)

Three 2020 Goals.  So far so good.  

Walking.  I am walking more.  Not as much as I was during July, August, and Sept., but much better than the past 3 months.  

Yoga: 16, 23, 45, 40, 42, 20, 45 minutes for Jan. 1-7--and I am pleased with that.  Knowing that my goal is only five minutes helps me go for it, and then I only do what I feel like doing or have time for.  Since I love yoga, it is easy to keep going, and not worry about the 60-75 min. sessions I used to do.  With such a minimal goal, there is no excuse for skipping a day.

Out of the House.  Although not a particularly inspiring "get out of the house" accomplishment, I made a trip to Michael's.  I only go to Michael's two or three times a year, so I am counting it for my first weekly "get out" goal.  I didn't need anything, but I did buy a couple of baskets for organizing and storage and two pens. :) 

 Christmas Projects.  I mentioned that Annie (Annie's Musings worked on Christmas projects throughout the year this past year, and I decided to give it a try.  A couple of unfinished projects from 2019 and 2018 and several things I want to make are on the list. My first one attempt this year was to finish the mouse/rat eccentric in a red sweater and a tutu that was supposed to be for Erin last year.  Yay, for one project on that list completed!  


 Books/Reading.  I found it too difficult trying to sort out my favorite mysteries, but other favorite books I listed on my book blog.  

So far this year, I've read The Stillwater Girls and When I Was You by Minka Kent, and I'm currently reading Welcome to the Pine Away Motel and Cabins by Katarina Bivald, and the nonfiction The Idea of the Brain:  The Past and Future of Neuroscience by Matthew Cobb.

How is your new year going?

16 comments:

  1. Your mouse are absolutely adorable! Your embroidery is admirable.
    Getting out isn't easy sometimes. The shorter days are easy, though, to forget the hour, and then have no daylight left to do errands. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, I made a sort-of-Chinese mouse, and Erin wanted one. I started this one, but didn't get her finished (I was using her as a pincushion!) before Christmas. Just made a quick trip to the P.O. and sent her on her way.

      I can always find an excuse to avoid actually leaving the house. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the asymmetric fastening on the mouse's jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She thinks she's stylish! :O This year is the Year of the Rat, so I guess she thinks she a star.

      Delete
  3. Mouse in Red Sweater seems to be quite pleased to have made an appearance so early in the New Year! She must love that red sweater, not only, as Rachel said, with the asymmetric fastening but with some fine embroidery, as well! Also, there's some amazing embroidery work showing up on your stitching project panel. You definitely are off to a great start this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she was tired of waiting to be finished, but she did get a bit pushy and demanding. "Gold Rat (1960, 2020) Smart, talented, hot-tempered, jealous, with a strong sense of self-awareness." I'll go along with those traits, but she has yet to show a temper. :)

      Delete
  4. Jen, your stitched panel is fabulous! What a lot of delightful stitch detail you created. I’ll bet it gets ooo’d and aww’d greatly upon receipt. Your rat is amazing! Love her red coat, gold tutu and striped legs. So smart looking. Based on her attitude pose, it all fits her style perfectly. I’d say you are ahead of me on Christmas items. I’ve made a card that isn’t finished on the inside yet. I usually have the upcoming January and February birthdays ready, but not this year. So the Christmas weeklys are likely to start out a tad behind! I’m terribly glad to have the company in this project. It’ll keep me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never really happy with Rat, which is why I didn't finish her the first time, but I think she's kind of saucy now. :)

      Since we have four birthdays + Christmas each December, it is so easy for me to become overwhelmed. I'm hoping that doing a project or two each month (maybe on birthday's, too), I can avoid UFOs and stress this year. However, I'm a great procrastinator, so it is going to take some effort!

      You keep me inspired, Annie. :)

      Delete
  5. LOVE the embroidery-this is stunning. The Rat is very cute! I love it that she has a tu-tu.
    I have not left my house this week except for caring for my goose, Sam. And feeding the wild birds.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! The leaving the house takes effort, doesn't it? I hope to get better at it, but what with being able to order online and a sweet husband who calls and says, "Can I bring anything home?"--it is so easy not to get out. :) Glad Sam and the birds are well!

      Delete
  6. Those mice are awesome! And, I love your panel with the quote. I guess one good thing about not getting out as much is that you do complete projects :) Glad you were able to get out to Michaels and enjoy perusing through the craft aisles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Since I haven't plan ahead much in the past, I have projects that don't get completed. It was nice to finish this one and get it in the mail to Erin. I did enjoy walking the aisles at Michaels and hope to continue fighting my tendency to stay home. Museums, local theater, galleries are available, so I hope to take advantage of some of those again. Right now, I'm pleased to get to the grocery store and the P.O.. :)

      Delete
  7. What a cute little mouse! The red sweater really makes it all work.
    I like that you have simple goals, especially "get out of the house." :) I want to stay in! And I like my silence. I can understand your sitting and stitching in your own quiet thoughts.
    Hmm.... sitting, stitching, silencing. Maybe I should do something with that idea.
    Have a wonderful 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to stay in, too! But I'm going to force myself to get out more. On silence--some people can't stand it, but I'mm very comfortable with it, partly because too much or too loud noise is stressful for me.

      :) You really should do something with sitting, stitching, silencing, Mary. Ha! You and your quilts are the epitome of all of those things.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, your panel is gorgeous! And I love LOVE the quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Verushka! It is a great quote, isn't it? I've started on a third panel now. Not sure how it will develop, but at least I've gotten started.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!