Tuesday, August 14, 2018

This and That

When Tara Johnson was inundated with mail addressed to a previous occupant, she turned things around by using each envelope as a blank canvas.  

Instead of simply writing "return to sender,"
she used her imagination and created little pieces of art.

Here is a link to an article about Tara Johnson, 
Fun, funny, creative!
------------

I really like these new stamps, but I still have so many stamps right now.  I think I'll wait until I use up some more of my stash. 
Source

I wonder if there will be new Halloween stamps...
Incoming Mail

It may look like the envelope below is rubber stamped,
but Valeri Pearon is an artist and illustrates her envelopes herself.
And she included the little painting below.
Just...Wow! on both envelope and painting!

Back to school for Hannah.  She's going to be super busy for a while.
I sometimes miss the excitement of back to school,
but I don't miss grading essays.  :)

Another cool envelope from Connie.
The King and Queen of Hearts.

-----------
On August 14, 1945, President Truman announced that Japan had surrendered and the world celebrated.   The famous photograph of the sailor kissing the nurse in Times Square 
made a great VJ Day stamp in 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the date.

I kind of wish they had left the original black and white, 
but still a nice remembrance of the joy and excitement at the end of the war.  

Source

8 comments:

  1. Returning mail for a previous occupant sure looks a whole lot more fun with the artwork. I’ll bet it makes a much bigger impression on the sender too. Love those magic stamps. I had not seen them yet. I wish Halloween stamps would get more fun and frightful, but I doubt it will happen. Someone might get offended by spooky or something like that. Your mail is always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope USPS will issue some good Halloween stamps! It would be a great opportunity for stamp designers. :) I do like the magic stamps, and they would do in a pinch for Halloween, but some creative Halloween stamps would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. What fun! I love seeing creative people do creative things. As I read in the comments of your last post, "I wonder what your mailman thinks." I'll bet he has a smile on his face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, I visited our local P.O. and took pictures in the back where they were sorting mail. Not only the mail deliverers, but those who sort mail should get a little smile now and then. :) Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Such great artwork on those envelopes. I sure hope someone at the post office keeps them since they won't get returned to sender. That's a lot of happiness to send out to the Universe.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the article, some of the comments were from the people who sent the original letters and received the "returns." Since Tara Johnson is in Australia, maybe their postal system works differently. I've put return to sender on several things, do you mean they aren't returned here in the U.S.?

      Delete
  4. I loved this post. It made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!