Monday, March 19, 2018

National Letter Writing Month and Fairy Rings

April is National Card and Letter Writing Month 

I like to send and receive personal mail and have participated in several challenges in the past, but now my goal is simply to send as much mail as I feel like--no more, no less.  The "feel like" varies from week to week and month to month.  :)   April may see more mail making its journey, although I won't participate in a challenge.

If you don't usually send personal mail and want to get involved with snail mail in April, 
here are a few things you can do to prepare:

*Create a stash of new stationery, cards, postcards to make things easier.  So much beautiful stationery is available in stores or online, so many funny cards.  You can buy or DIY.  Over the years, I have collected many cards and postcards I couldn't resist.  Sometimes, I couldn't commit to sending them because I liked them so much. 

*Check out pretty stamps and purchase enough to send a few letters or a lot of letters.


*Make a list of who you might write--with their addresses.  Parents, children, siblings, friends.  A niece or nephew or friend's kid.  Someone who has a birthday, graduation, or new baby.  Teacher, co-worker.  Senator, Congressman.  And you can always write me!

*Letters don't have to be long; a note that lets someone know you are thinking about them will be appreciated.  Include a cartoon or a joke, a quote, a funny list if you like.  Suggest a recent movie or book you enjoyed.  Sometimes all I do on a postcard is include a quote or a stamped image on the address side and a "Hi!"

One of my favorite sources of mail art inspiration, Jacki Long, sends "thank you" postcards with a collage on the back to folks who take her classes, which eliminates having to think of anything to say!  I've done this several times with postcards to the grands.  (A picture, a stamped image, or a cartoon or a joke work as well.)

I owe some mail to folks and have been working on some postcards, just to let them know I haven't forgotten them and to have some extras for later.

I like DIY.  I have a kindergarten mentality.  

Here are some postcard backs I played with yesterday.  I cut cardstock to postcard size or use index cards and then tear up junk mail, those catalogs that keep arriving each month before making their way into the trash, and other bits and bobs of pretty paper, maps, etc.  I apply some stamps and leave room for the address.


DIY postcard backs
 



I'd like to say this is quick and easy.  And it is, if you don't count the time cleaning sticky fingers!  How so much of my glue stick ends up on me is a curious thing.

And look what I found in the garden this morning:  a fairy ring!






12 comments:

  1. What a delightful fairy ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel--it wasn't there the day before! :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you! That’s, of course, what I do also. Send mail as it happens. Don’t need a challenge to do what we already love doing. You’ve got great advice and suggestions for someone new getting started in a letter writing challenge. Your collages are such fun. My favorite is the one in the middle. We have the same collection of old stamps. Your fairy ring of mushrooms is so cute. Best crop ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Write-On Campaign is also in April, but very ambitious and caused me to feel pressured. The National Card and Letter Writing Month doesn't list any specific numbers--just encourages people to send something in the mail. More fun to send what and when you feel like it. :)

      Delete
  3. These are great suggestions. Your cards are beautiful. Amazing how random bits of what could be trash look so beautiful together. Cute fairy ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shasta. I have fun with the collage cards backs a la' Jackie Long!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the April reminder. Love your fairy ring.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those mushrooms just keep cropping up everywhere! :O

      Delete
  5. The fairy ring made me smile-how sweet! I must do a painting of a fairy ring. I remember being so in love with them when I'd find one as a child-but they still hold all the enchantment for me now as an adult! Yours are so sweet! Love the postcard art-I must do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairy rings have always fascinated me, too, Debra! Thanks for the nice comments, and I hope you do paint a fairy ring. :)

      Delete
  6. A fairy ring—how magical! We received a wedding invitation yesterday with no RSVP card...instead, instructions to respond via text message. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than an emailed wedding invitation! :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!