Saturday, October 07, 2017

Laughter Is the Best Medicine

Events in the 6-8 weeks have been depressing, and like many others, I have been unsettled and feeling a combination of sadness and anxiety.  Looking for things that make me laugh has become important.  



This funny twitter battle between staff at the Science and Natural History Museums in London was clever and funny.

On a weekend trip to Natchez, Mississippi, this sign made me feel better about my meal.  

And among the beautiful old buildings downtown and the lovely Victorian homes and cottages, the sight of this house...  :)

What else raises my spirits?

Incoming Mail:
from Penny B.  :)
 from Jacque
 from Connie
 from Penne M.
from Suzi
with her handmade paper on the card :)

Outgoing:
 first Halloween mail


Most of my Halloween Eccentrics are out.  Finding a place to put them is the problem. I didn't make any more this year.  I'm not sure why because I still love the whimsy of Halloween characters, but my creative energy has been way down this year.  

These are some pics from last year.




I've been making some Halloween mail art though, which is fun, and I have a few letters to answer.  
Books

I read like some people eat chocolate or potato chips.  One book right after another; it is an addiction.  September only saw one book that genuinely rose above the pack:  Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke.  It is not a comfortable book in many ways, but it resonated with me on several levels.  I loved the protagonist, recognized the location (generally), was intrigued with the plot, and loved the writing.

What have you been reading lately?  






11 comments:

  1. I don't know when I've laughed so hard at someone who's making fun of my husband! Oops. It sure sounded like him. :)

    I'm sick enough to wish the undertaker would come take my measurements, but that video made me change my mind. I enjoy laughing too much to go just yet. That's just too funny. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Jeanne Robertson has really been a savior if I want to laugh. I'm glad to know that she has saved you from the undertaker's ministrations, Limner!

      Delete
  2. I share your feeling about what has been happening in/to our world. It's good to find laughter. Terry doesn't "do" FB, but he finds vids there and is laughing all the time. I've seen the video you shared before. I had a good laugh watching it again.

    It seems like just a short while ago you were sharing your Halloween art. The year flew by and I always enjoy seeing your pieces again.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Finding gentle, universal humor is difficult these days. Jeanne is a master at making the everyday situations funny. When B.E. was smaller, we would spend a lot of time watching cat videos on Youtube. A good belly laugh does lift the spirits.

      Delete
  3. Jeanne Robertson is very funny. I do believe we can get over educated! LOL. Love the sign and the over-decorated home front! Your mail is a delight...both incoming and outgoing. And your small Halloween decorations are a lot of fun. I read one book after another also. But only since I got a Kindle and discovered free book downloads. When I used to read physical books I took my time reading them and left a week or so inbetween starting another so I could think about the story I just finished reading. I wanted to make sure I got my money’s worth out of buying the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love that sign, too, and Jeanne Robertson makes me cackle. I need all the humor I can get these days. Yep, NetGalley is a great means of getting free books for my Kindle. They aren't all of equal quality, but most are entertaining. Some of my favorite authors appear on NetGalley, and there are always new authors to find. The library is another wonderful, free, and accessible source of physical books.

      Delete
  4. There's been a twitter battle between British Cathedrals as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I need to check that out! Thanks, Rachel. :)

      Delete
  5. Yesterday I received the latest copy of USA Philatelic catalog from the US Postal Service. Their cover features the latest stamp release, SHARKS! If you can get your hands on a copy, beginning on page 24 there's an article entitled, Turn Your Mail Into a Miniature Work of Art". I immediately thought of you, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Gail; maybe my copy will come today! My latest favorites are the Andrew Wyeth stamps, but right now I'm using last year's jack-o-lanterns for Halloween mail. :)

      Delete
  6. Who could possibly not love Jeanne Robertson? It's hard to believe she's still going in her 70s. Gives the rest of hope that we can find laughter in our senior years. Right? Anytime I need a little laughter I tune in to her videos. I've seen some several times and still want to see them again and again.
    I love when the Halloween Eccentrics come out. I probably shouldn't tell you, but I sort of inspect the details. I can't help it, they have such distinct personalities. You really have a gift for bringing them to life. I hope you feel like going back to making them this year. Oh, please make a Jeanne Robertson-like eccentric. That would be such fun! I can already see a "left brain" in her hand!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!