Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Books and Snail Mail


I've been reading like an addict--which I suppose I am.  Catching up with reviews on my book blog is more difficult than reading the books themselves.  Below are some of my favorites; already reviewed on Goodreads, but the posts for A Garden Carried in the Pocket are scheduled closer to publication.  

Shallow End and The Weight of Night are police procedurals from two authors I enjoy.  The other two are literary fiction--a coming of age story in Grief Cottage (don't think it is a depressing novel--it isn't) and When the English Fall, a dystopian novel about a solar storm that causes an EMP (an unusual novel that imagines how the prayerful and peaceful Amish would react to the ensuing violence).

 OK--just finished this one, and it is excellent.
Haven't reviewed or scheduled it,
but highly recommended--
 a beautiful and uncomfortable book.

   Trying to keep up with snail mail.

Incoming
 The orange one, middle left, is from Bryce Eleanor.
It didn't have a stamp and the postman left
a note in my box about postage due.
I left attached a stamp to the note,
put it back in the mailbox, and
the next day got my letter from B.E.--
along with a pic of Prim Paws from her little Kodak camera.  :)

Outgoing:

Postcards to Max and Mila and several letters.
The lion on Connie's is B.E.'s art--
I cut out one of her drawings and pasted it on the envelope.

10 comments:

  1. Yay reading!!! And yay snail mail too! Two of my favorites for sure. I love creative mail and its inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Two of my favorite activities as well, Annie!

      Delete
  2. I'm not at all interested in dystopian novels, but I do think I'd enjoy Quiet Until the Thaw. Thanks for the link: I think I'll order it when it comes out.

    Your mail is always fun! Adding B.E. lion drawing really dresses up that envelope. It's just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although there is eventually violence when food supplies get scarce, I envied the faith of the Amish and their commitment to prayer and nonviolence in When the English Fall. Quiet Until the Thaw is a stunning look at life on the Pine Ridge reservation. I loved Fuller's writing style, but it is uncomfortable to look at the results of the government's policies concerning a people and their culture. Fuller moves from character to character with wit and dark humor.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, you've been busy. I'm sticking with either distant history (Merovingian Europe), natural history (The Natural History of Selborne) or really fluffy stuff, with the way the world wags at present...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the world wags...indeed! Escapism offers relief from some of the disturbing news. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh-love this post-I'm interested in the David William's book. I live right in the middle of a Mennonite community (literally we are surrounded by these wonderful people), and the book sounds fascinating. Love your mail, as always....and the kitty photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Jacob's journal, in the midst of all the hardships, so calming. Williams, a Presbyterian pastor, takes an different look at a world without tech.

      Delete
  5. You might have already received my response to your letter with BE's lion on it. I didn't mention how much I loved that little drawing, and I figured it was hers. Please thank her for me! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, Connie, but will check again tomorrow! :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!