Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wednesday

I left all my other DIPs (dolls in progress) neglected and forlorn while working on the Izannah Walker inspired doll class over at Cloth and Clay Dolls.  She has a cloth doll body and a paper clay overlay on her head and shoulders.
 Without going into all of the things that could have been done better--and there is a long list of notes to myself--this doll was an excellent learning experience, and I want to do another one soon.  The lessons at Cloth and Clay Dolls are easy to understand and very helpful.  Playing with a bit of a paper clay resulted in a tiny sleeping doll for the Izzy doll. 

Izanah Walker was a doll-maker who made dolls during the mid-1880's.  Her dolls are considered primitive dolls, but they are definitely works of art; originals, which are rare, are highly collectible.


Women Only: Folk Art by Female Hands (via Craft Gossip) looks like such a wonderful exhibit.  Of course, I'd love to visit The American Folk Art Museum at any time.

6 comments:

  1. gosh, Jen - you sure do have an affinity for this doll-making stuff! LOVE the color distribution on this one and the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACey - Thanks, I find choosing the fabric something of a dilemma. Making the dolls has been an unexpected pleasure. The last dolls I made several years ago were mainly frustration, but these have been such a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely dolls! You did such a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OfficeType - Thanks! I'm having such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amiga Jen me gustan mucho tus trabajos, esta muñeca es muy hermosa,quiero hacer una cuando tenga mas conocimientos, para mostrárselas.Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!