Saturday, February 13, 2021

Valentines, Mardi Gras, Winter Weather

 I've mentioned Stephan Curry many times on this blog, because his photographs bring the wide world to me.  I love this quote he uses on his photo essay about home:

 The home should be the treasure chest of living.
– Le Corbusier


Mail (postcards to the grands)



letter from Suzie :) 
 

The letter was included with the book she send me.  She'd told me about The Lost Garden in one of our long phone conversations.  

We both love gardens and the time period of WWII.  I haven't started it yet, but I'm enjoying looking at the lovely cover.

With Mardi Gras a victim of the pandemic this year, I've enjoyed looking at the "house floats" that have been a cheerful adjustment to the lack of parades.  

I would have loved visiting Suzie this year to take a tour of the decorated houses.  I'm not a fan of the crowds or the parades, but a tour of the houses would be right up my alley.
 



------

Belgian dad begins photo shopping pics to send his girlfriend when she checks on baby.  He must have been chuckling as he created these images.




Good Heavens, winter is finally arriving in our area and next week is going to be challenge.

Happy Valentine's Day to all.



15 comments:

  1. Love your paintings and pictures of the house floats-what a great idea! I hope you are safe in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! The house floats are so creative from the very simple to the elaborate!

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love the postcards for the kids! Ha!...the bunny has bunny slippers. Perfect. Wow, the houses look wonderful.. How fun a house tour would be. I did not know they did that. The guy photoshopping the baby pics. Too funny! Especially the one in the rain. Happy Valentine’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie, the postcards were fun to draw! Yes, the house floats are a great response to the cancellation of parades, and I hope they will continue in the future. The photos of father and baby are funny and creative, my favorite is the rain one, too!

      Delete
  3. Did you paint those? They are wonderful. So whimsical and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was inspired by Mattias Adolfson's cartoons. Some of the figures are from pics of stuffed animals and in the last one there are items (not at all accurate) from the long Chinese table in the living room. :)

      Delete
  4. You painted the postcards?! Wow, you’re getting really good! Loved the photos of homes. Loved the Stacy Abrams NOLA house, too!! Ricky and I are planning our cold weather strategy aimed at keeping our pipes from bursting in our pier and bean house and cottage. It may involve getting up in the night to flush toilets and run water. We are drawing the line at outside faucets. They’re wrapped, but single digit temperatures??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beam!! Need to proofread!

      Delete
    2. This weather, after such a warm winter, is going to cause problems because it is so rare. I hope your generator is working now! It reminds me of 1983, when the Red River froze and broken pipes had plumbers working for weeks.

      The house floats were such a great idea for N.O. :) I'd love to take a tour of all of them!

      Delete
  5. Winter is well bedded in here! I do like the look of those home floats - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay warm, Rachel! I've seen some pics of England's winter weather, and in addition to the winter mix, one report had 80 mph wind gusts! New Orleans is a weird and wonderful place, and the house floats are so creative. :)

      Delete
  6. I love your postcards and all the little details! I'm sure they are going to be treasured. And, those house floats are so cool. I hope the winter weather isn't too bad in your area. We woke up to snow today. More than I've ever seen in Austin. So crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana, I enjoyed mixing it up a bit on the postcards. Unbelievable temperatures and snow here, too. Beautiful and dangerous!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we have been really lucky. It is now Sunday, and the snow and ice are finally melting, but many are still without water in both Bossier and Caddo Parish. We never lost water, but low water pressure and a boil advisory (which will continue for possibly another week) have only made us realize how lucky we are to have water to boil. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!