Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Staying at home...

I'm restless and unsettled, but not depressed.  Checking the news multiple times a day doesn't help the constant low-grade anxiety, especially since nothing really changes--at least not for the better.  The news is always Covid 19.

I thought about Duchess Goldblatt's  comment (I love her twitter feed):  "I’ll tell you children the same thing I tell Hacienda. You get 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night to read the news. That’s it.


That is so much harder than it sounds.  A simple solution, but a complicated response.  Like not touching your face, shaking hands, or coming within six feet of another person--takes a little time to re-calibrate those  automatic responses.

My days are filled with mostly mundane things:

  1.  I feed the cats.
  2.  Walk around restlessly.
  3. Make smoothies for the worm farm.
  4. I actually harvested two small buckets of worm castings and
  5. distributed them into garden pots.
  6. I boiled some eggs for my salads. 
  7. Sliced some lemons and put them in the freezer. 
  8. Froze some of Fee's homemade vegetable soup (so good!).
  9. I do my yoga routine daily.
  10. I started adding some qigong, and both make me feel better.
  11. Walk around restlessly.
  12. Read.
  13. Do laundry and other chores. 
  14. Text friends and family.  Usually adding or laughing at a C 19 meme or joke.
  15. Finally managed to start a new hand stitching project.
  16. My goal of walking at least two miles a day is usually in the house because of the rain.  I'll set the timer for 10 or 20 minutes several times a day.  Walking with intent instead of the meandering I do from being unsettled.
  17. Read blogs. 
  18. Eat Ritz cracker(s) slathered with peanut butter.
  19. Wait for 5:00 and wine.
  20. I read Nan's blog post and added the "daana" routine to my own practice.
  21. Watch the birds on the feeders.  Rain or shine, they visit the feeders.
  22. Garden when we have a dry day or two.
  23. Think about what we can have for supper.  
  24. Check for recipes and ingredients.
  25. Read.
I find it interesting that my usual go-to solutions, reading and embroidery, are not as satisfying.  It is the physical things that take my mind off our new global situation:  yoga, qigong, gardening, walking.  :) Hopefully, they will help counteract my other entertainment which is eating.


  Between breaks in the rain, I've gardened.  Weeding, cleaning up, planting some vegetables, harvested some worm castings and distributed into potted plants. 

 view from other end

small batch of worm castings,
I've gotten plenty more.
Lenten Rose


How are you keeping busy?
What helps you deal with stress, anxiety?

12 comments:

  1. ha! Sounds like a lot of us have the same kinds of days. I expected to see a slot for writing letters or postcards. ??? I have absolutely no problems with staying home. I love it. Having this trial run at full time retirement has me reconsidering returning to work at all. The only stress for me is needing to go out to public places such as the grocery store. I don’t want to. It’s too dangerous at those places. I WANT to stay at home. That picture at the end of your post about the parents’ reaction to school closing is SO funny! Stay positive and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm missing my mail, both written and received, but people are concerned with contracting the virus through mail and packages. As an introvert, I had to force myself to go out at any time, and it is strange the difference it makes when even going to the grocery store is actually risky! Wonder how many changes we are making right now will be permanent. We are becoming more self-sufficient in many ways and more aware of limited resources. Stay healthy and productive, Annie!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your list.
    I paint.
    Hold my goose. Walk around the yard with my goose, who follows me like a dog. She misses her friend Titus. I dream about gardening-it's too cold still. But I'm going to start some things inside this year. I do watch the news. I love being home-just wish it was a bit warmer-but it's spring.
    Stay healthy and safe-please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I knew you would be painting, Goose Girl. At least it is warm here, and on the sunny days I can get into the garden or walk around the neighborhood, but you will be in your garden soon, Debra!

      Delete
  3. I'm starting a new embroidery project (and learning to do videos of it), I crochet, I read, I paint (much more painting than I used to). We go out for a walk every day, and I avoid the news. Nothing I can do about it, and I don't want to turn myself into a wreck, worrying about what I can't fix.
    Stay well, stay safe, stay put, and stay away from people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to see your videos, Rachel. I've cut down on my news intake; as you say, there is nothing we can do about it but what we are doing. We are lucky when we have hobbies and interests that coincide with staying at home. As long as you can get out for walks and a little exercise, those habits of reading, stitching, and painting serve you well! Keep Calm and Carry On, advice your country has always offered fits the current situation. Be save and creative, Rachel.

      Delete
  4. I also find it's the physical activity that helps allay my stress best. So far that's been cleaning and straightening my house after months of our home repair/painting project. Everything is fairly back in order (I'm loving having my library back together) and working on the upstairs "studio" space now. Unfortunately, the studio has that inviting daybed so I often hear its siren call, "Don't you want to lie down and take a short nap?" Most days I manage to resist. I've certainly been cooking more, and I'm taking food to an older neighbor almost every day when we leave the house around 5:00 to walk the dog. I'm finding it harder to read but I think as the house gets more settled, I'll be able to read without thinking of other things I "should" be doing. I've worked in the yard a couple days but that wreaks havoc on my allergies. I usually see and talk to some of our neighbors if I'm working outside or walking the dog. Often my sisters and I text each other throughout the day, and I check in with friends. My writing group continues to meet via Zoom. It's been a week since I left the house other than daily walks, and while I like to stay home, I'm used to running a quick errand, visiting friends, getting a massage, and going to my fitness classes. I don't like thinking about this extending another month or longer, but I'm taking things day-by-day. I'm a believer that social distancing can flatten the curve, so I'm trying to be a role model and not complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The allergies have taken a toll, haven't they? It is one reason I have so much trouble with not touching my face--my eyes itch and water. Glad you are able to get your house back in order, especially the library. As you mention, the only thing we can do now is take things day-by-day, but at least we all have the benefits provided by the internet. Cool that your writing group can meet with Zoom. You and Ricky stay safe!

      Delete
  5. My life is always filled to the brim with mundane things...in good times and bad! And, I love them all! You definitely have some busy little worms! Obviously they are being well cared for. Your garden area is looking so good...and I don't see any weeds! Did you winter your Japanese Maples inside this year? I thought about leaving one in a pot last year and wintering it over in the garage, but decided to save myself a lot of work and ended up putting it in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They are the same mundane things day in, day out. They have taken on more importance in my mind, though, as I am tending to think more long term. Things I did automatically a month ago, now seem more important, more worthy. I approach the weeds area by area at times. The new area along the fence was weeded pretty thoroughly after I cut down a bunch of pathetic shrubs. The rest of the time, I weed a little here and there. Spring weeds are pretty easy to pull and dispose of, but with so much rain, they are plentiful. We don't have much winter any more, so leaving the maples out is not a problem.

      Delete
  6. Yes, how is it that books are not as fulfilling right now? All I can think is that everything that we know as normal has changed. I'm glad to hear you are still doing your yoga and gardening when you can. I feel like all I'm doing is working, eating chocolate and watching the news. Bad combination all the way around! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly--everything we considered normal has changed, and we are stumbling along adapting the best we can. I do find it strange how books and stitching are not providing the same satisfaction. Both are perfect for the situation, but not exactly working. Eating chocolate is an excellent way to deal with any problem!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!