Sunday, February 16, 2020

I found James Preller's Valentine to the Earth and loved it.  (James Preller is an American writer of children's books including Bystander, Six Innings, and the Jigsaw Jones Mysteries.   Wikipedia

In this current world of bad news, do you look for positive news to cheer you up?  Positive news is out there, but doesn't get a lot of attention in the midst of all the depressing news and events.  I need hopeful.  Sometimes desperately.  When depression and/or anxiety threaten to overwhelm me, a few "good news" items can perk me back up.  A friend posted the following on FB, and I didn't have to time to view it when I saw it, but kept the link--and I'm so glad I did.



I have written a few letters and have some to answer, but it seems I have gotten behind in so many things lately.  Happily, I'm still on target with my three goals and have yet to miss a day of yoga or walking or weekly getting out of the house.  

 used vellum to make this envelope; next time, I'll decorate 
the letter inside so it will show through :)



on back of Max's - another pun

On back of B.E.'s




I expanded on the embroidered mandala using the tart tins again and some small circles.  
I don't know if I'll continue to add to this piece or not, 
but I've enjoyed using the beautiful variegated pearl from Stef Francis. 
 The pearl cotton is so fine it is hardly bigger than sewing thread.

After knocking my good scissors off the counter, I decided to make a scissors keeper.  My first attempt, ended up with the addition of a mother-of-pearl button before being sent off as a gift.  I'm making another one for me.  I have a lot of scissors because I cut a lot of paper, but my good scissors are another thing entirely and deserve more care.

Sisters in Innovation: 20 Women Inventors You Should Know  


16 comments:

  1. Photos of animals are a good cheer up tool. Music is as well.
    Happy Valetine Day any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, I have several sites that keep a grin on my face about animal interactions. I enjoyed your links as well with the Rowley photos and others. As for music, it can make me feel like dancing or evoke a feeling of calm--both are good for the spirit. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the scissor keeper. Of course your art and stitching are always so nice-I call them good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Very Best embroidery scissors still live in the box they were given to me in, so absolutely I'm with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some tiny embroidery scissors that may need a little extra care. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the video. Choked me up. I wish we could all remember how much binds us to each other in this world. So much more than divides us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that video. It isn't all that hard to find how much we have in common in the right circumstances. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Debby!

      Delete
  5. Great mail Jen! For the see-through envelope, it would be pretty fun to write something saucy for the postal workers to read thinking they are getting a sneak peek at private mail. LOL. Don’t you just love getting back into wax seals! I’ve gotten mine out and have been collecting a few new ones too. Your mandala embroidery is so pretty. Fun stitches on your scissors keeper too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'll try to think of something clever to entertain the postal workers on the next see through envelope! My daughter gave me a seal years ago, but I haven't been able to find it, so I gave in and ordered a new set. Love the added ambiance the wax seals give an envelope--they are a touch of beauty.

      Delete
  6. Lovely video, thanks for sharing. Mary Ellen Brown often posts positive messages on FB. Every little bit helps. I'm sure all your correspondents find your letters to be a ray of sunshine in their mailbox. Sometimes I sometimes think our mail carrier just throws the mail into yards as if it were a newspaper. Our next door neighbor gave me a postcard I sent to a friend, which got returned, and Ricky found my bank statement in the yard next door after it had been through several rainstorms from the looks of it. I'm still a big supporter of the PO, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Valentine to the earth is beautiful and poignant. I love the illustration and the wording. I don't think I'm familiar with James Preller's books although Jigsaw Jones rings a bell.

      Delete
    2. I think it was Patty that posted the video on FB, and I absolutely love it. It reminds me that in small groups with the right incentive, people can find areas of commonality and compatibility.

      In Baton Rouge, there have been several incidents of dumped mail. Letters to Suzie in N.O. often take a month or more. She got her Halloween postcard in time for Christmas and her Christmas letter in late January, I think. I'm a big supporter of the P.O., but some areas are in need of better delivery people.

      I love James Preller's blog because he visits schools and answers fan mail from kids. :)

      Delete
  7. Love the pledge to the earth! I think thanks to all the bad news I've relied more and more on audiobooks now. Your mandala is beautiful. I admit I'm terrible on scissors. I get impatient and have been known to use them on sticky/glue-y papers. Not good I know! :) Good job on your scissors keeper!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!