Friday, January 03, 2020

Endings and Beginnings

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season and that the New Year will be full of good things!  

I'm behind again with correspondence, but loved all the Christmas cards that arrived in the mailbox this year.  Beautiful cards and funny cards and photo cards (it is always fun to see the yearly changes in kids!)  

Outgoing Mail in late Dec. and early Jan.


some happy New Year thank you postcards


 letters to grands

 the back of Max's letter with his pun.
  
Darn, I failed to scan Bryce Eleanor's before mailing.

2020

 It is easy to overwhelmed when beginning a new year.  Sometimes I actually make New Year resolutions, but more often I just think about any changes I might want to make.  Most of us do take time to reflect on the past year and think about the possibilities of the new one.  This year I have narrowed my goals down to three very simple ones that are important to me and can be accomplished incrementally.  I've written them down, making a commitment, and I'll check on Jan. 31, to see how I've done.

Of course, I have a long list of things that I'd like to do, and I want to check in on them on a regular basis:  be kinder, be more appreciative of the small things that make life worthwhile, to keep in mind what is good for the earth--recycle, reuse,and pay attention to packaging, more to "do" instead of talking or thinking about doing, to travel more, etc., etc.  Pretty much the same intentions I have each year, but reminders help.

But...only 3 goals that I've listed for the month of January and hope to carry on through the year:  5 minutes of yoga each day (knowing that I only need spend 5 min. helps me get out the mat and almost guarantees more than 5 min.), walk more, and get out at least once a week.  These are easy to check off, aren't overwhelming, and feel manageable.  

I am an introvert and tend to be a hermit.  I love reading, sewing, crafting, gardening, and I will use any excuse to delay necessary errands.  Unless we need cat food.  No way to put off the need for cat food!  Or toilet paper.  

Because I have many things that interest me and keep me busy, I have become less likely to visit local events, museums, go to a park to walk,  visit art galleries  or other interesting places.   I may rejoin the local gym which would definitely get me out of the house and combine with other goals.  So only 3 resolutions/goals--fingers crossed.

And now, I need to clean out the fridge because cleaning and clearing out is part of the new year process.  :)


17 comments:

  1. Yes, small and incremental is the way to go! I hope it's successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Rachel. I think I've left plenty of leeway. :)

      Delete
  2. Good plan, small steps
    The postcards are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small steps, indeed. I know getting the mat out is the means to success. :)

      Delete
  3. I tried to stay away from any big changes and settled on only two main goals ~ To get to bed earlier each evening and to sew some each day. I made a card and an envelope! And, I thought of you when I did. I cut and glued and even glittered on tea stained parchment paper, then wrote a nice letter to a great-niece who I thought needed a little something special. I hope she writes back! Thanks for all the inspiration in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough sleep and time for sewing--both are good for your health! I hope your great-niece writes back, but you know she will be delighted to get a personal letter from you in her mailbox. It is fun to play with the envelopes, isn't it?

      Looking forward to visiting your blog in 2020 (and catching up on Milly's walks)!

      Delete
  4. Your mail to Lady of Letters really draws me in! I love the design of it all. I always love seeing your mail and getting inspired in a variety of ways. I don’t have any resolutions. I will continue to do more, compute less and purge what I don’t love. As well as continue being kind and generous. But I do not want to clean out the fridge! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I love being inspired by your mail and seeing your monthly calendars. I'm using those three resolutions for a month and hope to be successful--since I made them so simple. I like your idea of do more, compute less, and purging. I'm trying, but the purging is tough. As for the fridge, I did get as far as purging some leftovers. :)

      Delete
  5. I am a hermit too. I told my son recently that I plan to go out of the house and take my sketch book, visit cafes and sit among People. It's way too easy to just stay home and hermitize.
    Your art is always inspiring-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great plan, Debra. The sketch book will give you a sense of purpose and new views to sketch. It really is easy to make excuses to stay home and "hermitize." :)

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful cards! I don't make resolutions either but I think like you, I like to think about what I've done in the past year and what I want to change or do more of. I feel like I used to go out a lot more but I don't make that a priority now and I miss visiting museums and really making more of an effort. Hopefully things will change a bit this year. Wishing you a wonderful year and love the idea of a 5-min yoga practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! The five-year-old in me loves to cut and paste. :) I'm trying to pay attention to local events and interesting places locally; there are so many things I've gradually stopped paying attention to. Maybe we will both make an effort this year!

      Delete
  7. We have a lot in common Jen, I was reading about your goals for the year. I can't remember the last time I went to a museum, and shame on me, as I'm an art teacher. And I can relate to the hermit in us as well, I'm such a homebody and can find endless things to do so I don't have to go anywhere. I would read all day long if it didn't bug my husband so much, and of course the garden and pulling weeds is a favorite pastime and watching the plants grow. I would also like to be kinder, cuz sometimes my husband says I can be a bitch ha ha, and I'm way too judgmental, so thank you for sharing your list with us. BTW, love seeing your postcards to your grands. they must love receiving those in the mail. How fun! A tradition I've got to start when mine come along. Love to you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are teaching, so much time and effort goes into preparing for class. And face it, working with kids takes a lot of attention and energy! Now that you've retired, it takes a while to readjust your schedule to having a choice of activities and time to pursue them.

      :) I recognize the tendency to find things to do so I don't have to go anywhere! Sometimes I'll get up and get ready to go out and find myself too "busy" to leave!


      Delete
    2. Yes! That happens to me too. I eyeball something that catches my attention and then I never leave..

      Delete
    3. Displacement activities are my specialty, and when I don't have a crafty project or a book I'm engaged to use an excuse, I'll find a household chore to delay leaving the house! :)

      Delete
  8. If only I could stay home in quiet. It seems there are so many distractions, but I'm trying to not complain. I'm afraid that one day I'll be lonely and wishing for distractions. You know, that "be careful what you wish for" adage.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!