Wednesday, October 30, 2019

October Draws to a Close

I bought the holographic picture in a frame a couple of years ago.  
This year I decided to spruce up the frame a little with fabric scraps.

Finished these two eccentric skeletons.
Oops, almost finished, I just realized I haven't added his arms,
which were still drying from a last coat of sealer.





The skulls were from Dollar Tree, I think.

We took a day trip to Natchitoches a couple of weeks ago
and I liked this skellie outside of a shop.

 Bryce Eleanor drew the tiger below--
with some shrink plastic they turned into earrings!
Lucky me, I got a pair!
She's eleven, almost twelve, and I love that she keeps working at her drawing.
Practice and persistence!
From these drawings that we made into stuffies when she was five--
she sat in my lap and we sewed them together--
 to the tigers on the earrings!


One of my favorite sites to visit is A Mighty Girl, and my favorite Halloween costumes are homemade.  A Mighty Girl selected some favorite costumes from past years--many of which are characters from books the girl's have read.  

Suffragette
Scientist Ada Twist
"Cadence is 8 and has wanted to be an entomologist since she was 5.
This year, she asked to be a praying mantis for Halloween."

The last one cracked me up because when Mila was a little,
she wanted to be a bottle of vinegar.
I think she ended up as a spotted puppy.


Check out the some of the others at A Mighty Girl:  Jane Goodall, Amelia Earhart & Eleanor Roosevelt, Dr. Who and Harry Potter characters (especially Moaning Myrtle), Mulan, Julia Child--they are all wonderful and fun!

Incoming Mail

Annie's envelopes are always beautiful, inside and out!

 She makes her collage  cards out of 5 x 8 index cards folded in half
so the inside in lined and perfect for writing.
I love this idea and will, of course, probably copy it!

 I love the washi tape on Iliana's envelope

 and the black cat on the back!

and the note card inside :)


The Red Wrigglers--My worm farm wrigglers love anything I put in the blender with a little water and turn into a chunky kind of smoothie.  Their latest favorite was chunky Brussels Sprouts smoothie.  

Garden--the lettuces, kale, onions, green onions, and chard are doing well.   Petite carrot seeds (I like the petite carrots, not the big ones for my salads) have sprouted.  If I can do without tomatoes, my salads will be available in just a few steps.  Not that I mind purchasing cherry tomatoes, because I don't mind at all.  

Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. Love the little praying mantis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Her costume is adorable, and I'm applauding her career choice. Even though I'd prefer studying bees or butterflies to some other varieties of insects. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great way to end October. You have had an awesome month, for sure. A Mighty Girl is the best! Love those homemade costumes! Glad the Red Wrigglers are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These costumes are so much more fun and inspiring than the usual choices available for sale. My congrats to the mother's who encouraged and created the choices of their girls!

      Delete
  3. So much fun in this post! Your dolls are fabulous. Full of great details. WOW!...Bryce Eleanor is a fabulous drawing talent! The tigers are magnificent. Her drawings to stuffies are a terrific record or accomplishment. The skellie on the bench is very fun. The girls’ costumes are wonderful. I read...a bottle of vinegar. I needed to go back thinking I MUST have read that wrong. Nope! So funny! Your mail is so great. I think there are some very lucky mail carriers/sorters who must really love their job seeing mail art as a regular part of their work day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottle of vinegar is still a byword at every Halloween. Mila was a surprising kid in many ways and still thinks outside of the box! Bryce Eleanor's artistic talents were inherited from her mother who drew Little Mermaid murals on her bedroom walls as a teenager. I do think mail carriers/sorters must get a little kick out of mail that is more than a generic bill. :)

      Delete
  4. this is a great Halloween post! I am absolutely struck by you dressing up that FRAME!! I think we'll miss trick or treat here. The cold, wind and rain mixed with snow will more than likely keep the kids home.
    Happy Halloween
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, that is a terrible weather forecast for Halloween!

      We didn't have any kids last year--which left me with a lot of candy. Our neighborhood is mostly older folks so we've never had many since we moved into this house. I miss the excitement of all the kids we had before. Happy Halloween, Carol!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!